• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimmy53

That change is the buzzing in my living room. Sharing a one bedroom apartment with my rig is getting tedious. Whenever I turn it off its like all the crickets in the world stopped chirping. So I am considering a watercooling setup.

I currently have 6 fans inside my case including those for the GPU and NB. I am strongly considering a kit setup but am equally considering a customized system. The real point of this setup is not screaming speed, its functionality and $$$.

Anyhow my question is where do most people go to buy watercooling parts? I have seen a couple links on the front page but they are a tad bit sparse. Also just to introduce myself and thank you guys in advance for the advice.

-James

ur always welcome here dude. well, most people buy their parts from dangerden.com or dtekcustoms.com
both pretty much sell the highest quality stuff.
if ur worried about cost, i'd suggest getting a kit (sortof) from aquastealth.com instead. its not top preforming, but its a real good setup that wouldn't disappoint you for the cost (about 100-150 for everything) If u want a quiet setup, i'd suggest getting a heatercore, not a black micro or anything like that. slap two panaflo fans or vantec stealths on the radiator (one on each side) and your setup will be able to cool down ur cpu/gpu/nb (if u decide to expand) w/o a problem with the fans at low speed.

Welcome to the forums! Wonderful community here.

Are you overclocking? If not, there are some very easy ways to reduce noise in your case. First of all lose the fan on your NB, get a passive heatsink. Zalman sells them, as does Thermaltake. Do you have your fans running at full speed? You can reduce them to 7volts with an adapter, or get a fan controller.

Before spending the money on a watercooling setup (which is totally cool, and I'm not discouraging you from doing it) I reccomend you read a series of articles by Fred Langa. You can find them here: http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=21401323 They are all about ways to quiet down your PC cheaply. If noise is your ownly concern, this is a GREAT place to start.

Excellent, thank you. Quite honestly my case is not very fan friendly. The problem with traditional cooling has gotten to be a couple things. First off, in order to maintain positive pressure and proper front to back, bottom to top air flow I need 3 case fans which include two 80's and a 120. The PSU fan is a 120, the CPU fan is a very noisy 80. It's just noisy.

My second reason is that once I win the lottery I will want a water cooling setup for my bleeding edge machine. I actually considered upgrading my traditional cooling setup and I am still open to the idea. The deciding factors will be price, performance, and noise. If I got the watercooling setup I would go passive for everything except the 120 on the side panel and the 120 on the PSU. Two 120's for the radiator and I am a lot more quiet and just as cool.

Back