• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

auto leak repair, crazy stuff!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korndog

well, i've had a small leak in my reservoir for 2 weeks and a leak in my NB block for 4 months. i've been so busy (lazy) lately that i never had a chance to fix it. Usually i'll just wipe it off or wait for my vga card to spaze out from the coolant thats dripping on it (yes i am insane) and then wipe it off. for about a week, i've kinda forgotten about the leak, went to check last night.
apperantly there is a thin layer of dry coolant around both leaks.. and its not leaking anymore. the stuff is really sticky and hard to clean. almost don't want to clean it, lol! has this happened to anyone??
i might take a picture later :)

impressive.

i feel bad for your vid card, though...heh

kinda creepy that its dried and stopped the leaks. maybe its designed to?

yea, its creepy yet funny.
designed to?... hm.. maybe, i thought dexcool was crap.
meh, the card will live (not if my life depended on it though)
i actually had a bunch of coolant on top of it once, and it was working fine. when i realized it i freaked out but nothing was going one so i left it for a day. when i cleaned it (did it while it was one.. yes i know, i am an idiot) it started spazing out and my screen went all artifact-y.

i'm scared for your card...heh.
mine is too loud, but i'd never allow it to get wet...not that regular water conducts electricity verry well....why dont we all just coar the whole computer in latex and put it in a tank of water? relatively passive...heh

its kinda been done, but really sucks
water is a poor thermal conductive, it only works out in water cooling when convection is added to it.

Happened to me when I first put in my block, wasn't as lucky- the water leaked into the AGP slot, after drying it out, everything worked though.

I don't think it's a good idea having leaky parts anywhere near electronics though...

better late then never ;-)

first leak repair (res)
leak003.jpg
now uv
leak002.jpg

second leak repair (NB)
leak004.jpg
now uv
leak005.jpg

and proof of leak.. (agp slot)
leak006.jpg
i was too lazy to dry it up when it happened so it dried up..
actually it mixed with some uv paint, then dried up..
i didn't have a chance to fix it yet, but it hasn't leaked.

coolant i used was prenstone (dexcool approved, not dexcool) top off coolant.
enjoy!

Happened to me around my pump outlet, coolant would dry up around the barb forming a seal, then a few weeks later it would break through and leak again, and then seal again etc etc, was constantly topping up the T-Line :D

Got the proper outlet barb now though, which has an o-ring on it so all is good :)

SillyBob said:
Happened to me around my pump outlet, coolant would dry up around the barb forming a seal, then a few weeks later it would break through and leak again, and then seal again etc etc, was constantly topping up the T-Line :D

Got the proper outlet barb now though, which has an o-ring on it so all is good :)

good stuff :beer:

mine did leak all over my gpu, but nothing happened...
i ran some tests and found out that the coolant in my reservoir is very electrical resistant compared to the fresh coolant right in my bottle.
i'm not sure if its the uv dye or the paint my little cousin poured into it which i thought i cleaned out, but found in my radiator the other day..
i need to do more research!

Back