• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i get fluid xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sun_tzu617

What is fluid xp? How much? Where to get it? Is it worth it? Is it goopy?
Can i add uv colors to it? Does anyone else use it? Is it a better or worse cooling than regular water? Can somone answer these questions plz?

non conductive, non corrosive liquid.
$24 per 32oz from dtek
$20 per 32oz from ebay
depends on how paranoid u are about screwing up ur components incase there is a leak.
no, its actually pretty runny.
yes u can add uv dyes.
a few people use it.
its the same as water (differernces are so small, its not worth arguing about)

Man, you could just get some completely pure distilled water, it shouldn't conduct electricity.

Tap water --> impurities, metal ions, slightly acidic --> conducts electricity
Distilled water --> no impurities, no ions, neutral --> doesn't conduct

It's a chemistry thing, I could spend hours explaining it LOL

So all that fluild XP stuff is water?

Does It have any additves such as watter wetter. (I dont mean watter wetter but just as an example of the type of additive)
What about bacteria?

Are they selling it as a stand alone liquid free from corrosion, bacteria, and cloudy tubing?

I'm paranoid, Fluid XP has gone down in price, after buying water wetter or any other additives and distilled water, there's only $20 diff in price. Plus, you can tell your non geeky friends that you use the same cooling liquid that's used in super computers :p

The will say "Wow, you are the leetz0r" and all will be well.

Plus, you can put a bunch of LEDs in the fluid and light em up without a worry. I hope :/

edit, stupid spelling errors

kiyoshilionz said:
Man, you could just get some completely pure distilled water, it shouldn't conduct electricity.

Tap water --> impurities, metal ions, slightly acidic --> conducts electricity
Distilled water --> no impurities, no ions, neutral --> doesn't conduct

It's a chemistry thing, I could spend hours explaining it LOL

distilled water can become conductive (rips off ions from the metal).
besides that, distilled water can't be used in a mix of metals (like aluminum and copper). Fluid Xp is the best liquid u can use in this case. Even with an all copper solution, you'll have stuff growing in ur water if u don't use some kind of bacteria control stuff.
i would get this stuff myself, but i'm poor and have a 40oz reservoir :-/

Oh, I was just trying to use that chemistry class for something in the real world. Thanks for correcting me :)

Surreal:

No, it's not water, I was just saying that water can be non-conductive if it's in a totally pure state, but that's very rare and you would have to be REALLY careful with it.

FluidXP is a mineral oil I think. There was a site around that sold min order of 500 gallons of mineral oil and it was rated for -40 to +500 C, it's basically the same stuff.

Just google around for fluidxp, I called D-Tek when I placed my order and the guy that answered the phone said they sell tonnes of it, that's why the price dropped so much. It used to be $50. He also said the he used it in his rig.

There's a video somewhere of some guy poring the stuff onto a PSU, I think they got lucky that it just died and didn't blow up in their face. There won't be 0 conductivity, but if you're gonna spill it into something with high current, like a psu, it's gonna conduct a little.

Corruct me if i'm wrong chem guys.

I have FluidXp with Tygon R3603 tubing. Got a good price from a guy here on these forums. It does not cloud up tubing like water wetter or and any antifreeze ever did. Although Tygon is less prone to getting cloudy, but wwith Zerex, my old setup with Tygon used to get cloudy after three weeks. FluidXP is worry-free, not so much for the leaking, but becaus eyou don't have to go out and buy additives and worry about adding stuff to prevent growth and corrosion. Both my blocks are plexiglass and they are still clear for three weeks now. My Tygon tubing is crystal clear still. Also, this stuff still does well with UV dye. Here's a pic of my 32 oz. premixed.
6.JPG

now how much of this stuff do you need? would one 32oz. container be enough for...say....4 feet of tubing with a res?

depends how big the reservoir is
i had a dtek heatercore, 4ft of tubing, and a tline and that took a little less then 20oz.
i would get two just incase.
my new reservoir would take more then one bottle of that stuff (and no i'm not getting rid of it!) :p

FluidXP was developed by nasa. the ingredients appear to be SEVERAL forms of alcohol among other things. from what i understand you can literally pour this on a running machine and it won't do anything to it.

the stuff is distilled water with some alcohols in ti and something else, on its own it is completely nonconductive as soon as you add stuff like waterwetter or antifreze though it will be conductive though due to the alaklinity and the fact taht waterwetter and antifreeze contain certain conductive ions i believe.
its good aslong as you dont add anything to it, dunno about uv dye though jsut make shure its not conductive.

read that link to the proforums....this stuff does not seem to be what it purports to be. there's alot of question as to whether or not it is legit/worth it.

It's non conductive, what a lot of people are asking is how long it's non conductive for? If it's longer than a year, it's still worth it over water to me since you don't have to drain the loop every 6 months and inspect everything to make sure that your additives didn't eat anything. Plus, your distilled water that you get from the supermarket IS conductive, and if it isn't, when you add your additives it's going to be, there's no way they would be selling lab grade distilled water in a supermarket in a plastic container full of impurities. It's just filtered steam.

fragger56 : You would never add ww or antifreeze to fluidxp, unless you want to ruin it.

After all the reviews and price drops im going to be getting it for my water cooling setup. Should be worth it not to fuss with it too much. IF it holds up to its rated "5 years" no maintence thing. I give it 1 or even 2 before it needs to be fussed with a little.

JT

you're rich? buy me some then. throw about 10ft of tygon in while you're at it too :D

Back