• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dexcool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Absolute Zero

this is why you shouldn't use dexcool.

i have a job as a mechanic to pay for college. gm has recently instituted the use of dexcool coolant (the orangish pink stuff). they guarantee no need for cooling system maintance for the first 100,000 miles. sounds great, and ideal for a computer, right? not quite. here's what happened.

a week ago a 2002 chevy z71 came in that someone had taken off-roading. well apparently a giant stick got wedged into the engine compartment and warped the pulley on the waterpump. so i r & r'd it. what i had noticed was a lot of corrosion inside the pump. also, the coolant had started to eat away at the radiator hoses. this car is only three years old! i asked my boss about this, and he said that dexcool was a good idea, but corrodes aluminum and eats away at stuff that's rubber or rubberish. gm had to use different hoses for their vehicles (they're a lot tougher than the industry standard). now this is thick, stiff radiator hose, so think of what this stuff can do to simple tygon.

thus, the moral of the story is - DON'T USE DEXCOOL IF YOU LOVE YOUR COMPUTER!

Back