• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob to WC'ing...heres my plan, help is appreciated... :P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El-Scotto

k, im getting fed up with all the noise from my fan and decided to take the next step to water cooling!
ive read some stuff here and else where and also got some advice from people...heres my plan, i believe my case is a little to small for all the components so I am going to build an external res to put along side my case, the pump might also be put in seperate place outised my case also....as for the heater core im planning on mounting it on top of the case....
the parts i am looking at are as follows....

heater core == chevette heater core
pump == MCP600
wb == WW for my amd

going to use a vga silencer on my 9800....
am i missing anything? input will be appreciated as itll prolly help me and other fellow noobs out :p

* don't put the heater core on top, it will trap bubbles and lose efficiency
* don't forget the tubing and fittings (expensive enough, plan for it..)
* put a GPU block on that 9800
Have fun !

k would putting the heater core a little below the case be fine? also for cooling the 9800 maze4? thanks for the input so far :cool:

Yes and yes.
Most cases can accept a heater core in the bottom front where the intake fan usually sit.

I understand the logic behind not putting the hc on top, but I've seen many setups that do so. I'm sure it isn't a big deal to put the hc on top if that's the only place it would fit.

Having said that, I am putting mine in the bottom front like SureFoot suggested.

The vga silencer is pretty quiet, but didn't you want to eliminate fans?

i saw some pics with people putting the HCs on top and i thought it looked so thats what i thought but if it is a performance ill put it on the bottom :p

also i hear the vga silencers arent that loud, i bought it when it was on sale for $9.99 at SVC ill eventually move it to a different computer when i buy the block for the 9800

You might want to use a T-line in the place of a reservoir...
VGA silencer is pretty damn silent but if you're going to w/c, go all out to eliminate as many fans as possible :)

Como said:
i'd say get a bigger heatercore, the chevette one is kinda small.

It's more than sufficient for a cpu wb and gpu wb in series. It's not that small compared to other hc's that take single 120mm fans on either side. He doesn't need a hc that accepts two 120mm fans on either side like the Bonneville or Caprice...plus it would be MUCH easier to fit a Chevette in the bottom of a case.

welli still have yet to see how big the chevette core is, but im planning for it be a decent size and im most likey keeping it outside of the case towards the bottom of it, which other heater core/rad would you rec.?

as for the res, im gonna build one myself so id like to use one, itll keep me occupied :p

Chevette heater core is more than enough for CPU + GPU (moderate, not 6800 or X800) + NB and still have room for a lot of overclocking..
I understand the logic behind not putting the hc on top, but I've seen many setups that do so.
Most people don't think about everything, because they're not informed enough ;) Reminds me most people also shut down their turbo'ed cars while the turbo is red hot.. that's 99% of the turbo owners out there.. doesn't mean it's a good thing... they simply don't know they're killing their engine... the same goes for watercooling: a lot of knowledge is implied, and it's quite a lot to get a grasp of, especially for non-overly-technical people.. uhoh i've strayed a bit too far, back to the topic at hand :)

SureFoot said:
Chevette heater core is more than enough for CPU + GPU (moderate, not 6800 or X800) + NB and still have room for a lot of overclocking..

Most people don't think about everything, because they're not informed enough ;) Reminds me most people also shut down their turbo'ed cars while the turbo is red hot.. that's 99% of the turbo owners out there.. doesn't mean it's a good thing... they simply don't know they're killing their engine... the same goes for watercooling: a lot of knowledge is implied, and it's quite a lot to get a grasp of, especially for non-overly-technical people.. uhoh i've strayed a bit too far, back to the topic at hand :)

Where are you getting it from that a heatercore in the top reduces performance. I don't see the reasoning behind it. Please explain.

Como, we are saying a Chevette is enough. That link is pretty much overkill for your setup...unless you plan on using TEC. Plus you would have to hack of the inlet tubes and put on new barbs.

sandman, maybe he means that a lot of people just don't plan it well enough so that they end up with not enough space in the front and just put it up top?

overkill? if it was overkill why would i want 2? bwa ha ha...okay, i'll stop cluttering this thread now. maybe a chevette will do it for you guy, but thats not nearly enoguh for me...

Como: as long as you can fit it properly and be pleased ;) there's no "big enough" !! Actually as other ppl said a chevette will cool a conventional loop very well, but you might shave off those extra few degrees with an oversized rad...

sandman001 said:
Where are you getting it from that a heatercore in the top reduces performance. I don't see the reasoning behind it. Please explain.
Because as they are commonly placed they traip air bubbles. Of course one cannot see them, but they're there. Also, putting a rad on top, horizontally as most people do, means having the fan PUSH through it so it stays inside the case (which is less efficient than PULL for an axial fan - i.e. 99.9% of the fans out there). And of course it gets all the heat produced inside the case as air intake, and as we know, rads are most susceptible to air temperature and flow variations. A better setup would make the rad PULL fresh air from outside the case.. but having it sitting on top would mean fighting natural convection (hot air rises).
Basically, that's it.

well guys i just orderd my pump and cpu block and tubes...all i need now is to go out and get the heater core and build my res!!! thanks for all the help!

"Como: as long as you can fit it properly and be pleased there's no "big enough" !! "

thanks for hte confermation, i'm thinking i may be abel to "fit" THREE (3) 10 3/4 " X 5 5/8 " rads in my case at the moment...if only i could afford all three!

Back