• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver + Waterblock?? A couple questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Docta_Z

Hey guys, I'd just like to clear up something.

I've got a CPU-300 Koolance block for my system and upon installation I am faced with either using the Koolance thermal paste or arctic silver 5 which I have laying around...

I've heard some funny rumors that it's better to use the paste that comes with watercooling blocks since it works more efficiently at the lower temps water offers...

How true is this... or is as5 still what to go with...

and secondly:

on the arctic silver application guide... (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm) they tell you to "rub" some arctic silver into the bottom of the heatsink to "fill the microscopic pits that exist on the bottom."

Do you think I ought to be doing this with watercooling..? I know it's lowered my temps with heatsinks in the past by 2-5 degrees...

Thanks for the help...

Definitely use the as5, it's the best thermal paste out (for non sub-zero applications). Watercooling does offer lower temps than air, but it's still well over ambient so it heats up enough to break in the as5 (over tiiiiime). Do a comparison if you want to see what's best, but I'm putting down money the as5 will get you much better temps than the white goop.

To apply, clean core and block with rubbing alcohol, stretch saran wrap or plastic over finer, clean that plastic with alcohol, put a half-grain sized portion of as5 on the die and spread it out evenly with your finger. It's not like the old stuff where a razor thin layer is best, which makes it much easier to apply :D

Excellent. Just as a I suspected.

I will rub'her in !

Very cool. Thanks!

Back