• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/2" vs 3/8" tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
GPH means Gallons Per Hour. It's recommended 1/2" tubing. I use 3/8" tubing because it's alot cleaner looking for me (not cluttered), and easier to work with. Though I use a 3/4ID tubing for my pump intake. I havn't been able to see a difference between the two. A less restrictive block like some of Swiftech's blocks might benefit from the 1/2" tubing. What ever is easy for you I would go with that choice.

actually 1/2" is less restrictive all around, and since *all* waterblocks and radiators benefit from higher flow... if you have multiple parallel loops you can mix 3/8" and 1/2" to restrict flow in some loops.

is there a temp diff between the 2. is the cooling affected by the tube size?

Not so much depending on the waterblock. Some waterblocks like very high flow, like the whitewater, and will benefit from every extra flow increase. Others quickly level and you won't see much difference, although there's one. CPU temp probes are not very precise.. not at all. Anyway if you're into extreme overclocking it will bring you that extra edge...

jumpdrive said:
is there a temp diff between the 2. is the cooling affected by the tube size?

It's probably so small, you wouldn't notice much difference. I went from 1/2 to 3/8 and couldn't tell. I'm sure it makes a difference though nothing noticable without good temp sensors. Go from 1/2 to 1/4 and you'll see a difference.

how effective is water cooling and do u use a coolent or just plain water?

I would definately go with 3/8, not just for the ease of use, but the performance drop that some think is there is probably there, but so small its not noticeable.

-edit- no, the aquairus should have never been made;) its worse than air.

Jon

If you are going to do 1/2" ID system...then do a TRUE 1/2" ID system...and get a pump that has high rated head like the Swiftech MCP600 (GPH is not the world...MCP600 is 160GPH but outperforms many 300GPH+ pumps).

Basically 1/2" ID = bigger tube diameter = more flow = more performance with most wb's

3/8" ID is probably much more convenient to route...just make sure that if your pump has a 3/4" intake...then use 3/4" tubing for that. Make sure there is as little restriction as possible...

yes, inside diameter, Thats the old swiftech kit, and I was going to suggest the newer one, that site doesnt look like all that great of a place, especailly calling the thermaltake water kit better than any air cooling, thats a bunch of bs.

Take a look around, do some reading.

Jon

Swiftech kits are newbie-friendly and quite efficient..
People, please read the stickies before asking.. nearly every question asked there is answered in the stickies section.

I would use 1/2 id if you can fit it however if you cant go with 3/8

just wondering does any serious WCer use 1/4 it saddens me to see 1/4 id tubing on some commercial setups

Back