• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anti-freeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilneel12

i have some texaco antifreeze thats already opened and if enough for my wcing system. i put some of my blue uv dye in it and it made the water mostly blue and with a hint of green. i was wondering if this anti-freeze is ok to use in my system, my concern was that it is pretty old and the brand. how much of a differnce will if make if i buy another brand?? also i saw this anti-freeze by Peak its in a gold bottle and it says that you can mix it with any color antifreeze and the color will stay the same, it says sthe color is golden amber and it will mix in with the color of the antifreeze you already have in. will this work with my dye even if a lot of my dye is getting absorbed by the tubing??

thanks

meionm said:
should you mix anifreeze with water 50/50 for best results

50/50 is horrible for watercooling. its recommend for cars, but in the wc the temps will go over boiling point and won't go below freezing point of water so there is really no need. we simply use coolant because it prevents corrosion.

as for the texaco antifreeze. most of the time, gas stations get a large company to make the antifreeze for them, so u can assume that its actually a major brand antifreeze. Either way, as long as it contains glycol you should be fine.
always make 15%-10% antifreeze with distilled water, it should be light enough to let any uv dye show without problems.

yea, i was going for b/w 10-15% antifreeze. also i read a thread here somewhere saying that someone put a cap of listerine into thier loop and it killed off all of the algea and growth in the system. will this harm my system at all??
thanks

lilneel12 said:
yea, i was going for b/w 10-15% antifreeze. also i read a thread here somewhere saying that someone put a cap of listerine into thier loop and it killed off all of the algea and growth in the system. will this harm my system at all??
thanks

uh.. don't know if its bad or good.. but i know its not needed. coolant/antifreeze is pretty toxic, it shouldn't allow any bacteria growth unless u put like 5 or less precent of it..

i am using dex cool and distilled water
and have been for about 7-8 months, and have no growth of any kind(not that i can see)

Back