• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x80watt peltier stack?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

__TRONIK__

would it be effective to use 2x80w pelts stacked on a readon 9800? I can easily power both, but I do not know if the results would be worth it. WOuld I need a cold plate in between the two if I did?

Yea, it won't work so well. Perhaps if you gave the top pelt like 15V, and the bottom 10V or so. I'm not really sure how linearly it would scale voltage vs. heat.

your second pelt needs to be able to handle the wattage of the first pelt, plus the heat sourse. This ususally means about double the first pelt for good performance.

matttheniceguy said:
your second pelt needs to be able to handle the wattage of the first pelt, plus the heat sourse. This ususally means about double the first pelt for good performance.

that's right the second pelt should be double the second one

Jtanczos said:
Then why not just put the more powerful one on to begin with?

JT
Because one TEC has a 60*c max temp drop when you use two in stack you can go lower than the max of one. And I would 3x max on second one TEC are hearable inefficient :cool:

this multiplying of power really becomes a problem for a cpu. If the cpu puts out 100W, you need a 200W pelt too cool it. Then you need a 400W pelt to cool the first pelt.

matttheniceguy said:
this multiplying of power really becomes a problem for a cpu. If the cpu puts out 100W, you need a 200W pelt too cool it. Then you need a 400W pelt to cool the first pelt.
Your right that why I am going to make my next big change to direct dye faze change it will get lower temps and lower elect bill :)

here is a better question - would there be a benefit to putting an 80watt tec on my cpu and cooling the tec with a phase change unit? the phaser keeps 112watts or so to around 0c under load.

good question - I saw in the classifieds a guy was sellinga hiller he said tooan xp to -20.
with the phase change cooling a 74w tec he said it was getting -45c

was it bs, was it because it was chilled water, i don't know. Just kicking it around for opinions since I still have a spare 80w.

I think that it could be made to work however as described (one on top of the other) it would not. In fact I think it may be an ideal solution as far as tecs go. I have often thought of playing with this idea but would need to construct water blocks that I do not have the tools to do. I think that a 156w topped by an 80w would be a good starting place. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS THOUGH as in a standard setup you would very rapidly fry all.

Silver said:
I think that it could be made to work however as described (one on top of the other) it would not. In fact I think it may be an ideal solution as far as tecs go. I have often thought of playing with this idea but would need to construct water blocks that I do not have the tools to do. I think that a 156w topped by an 80w would be a good starting place. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS THOUGH as in a standard setup you would very rapidly fry all.

It wouldn't work for a cpu. 80 watts is not enough.

squeakygeek said:
It wouldn't work for a cpu. 80 watts is not enough.

Might want to re-read that last enrtry by me. As stated it would not work, on this you are very right. However I do believe that a smaller tec could be used to cool a larger tec properly applied. This is the same kind of response I got on dual verticle tecs. That one is proved valid this one is not however I think that again, properly applied one could make a very valid argument for using smaller tecs to assist in larger tec cooling.

Silver said:
Might want to re-read that last enrtry by me. As stated it would not work, on this you are very right. However I do believe that a smaller tec could be used to cool a larger tec properly applied. This is the same kind of response I got on dual verticle tecs. That one is proved valid this one is not however I think that again, properly applied one could make a very valid argument for using smaller tecs to assist in larger tec cooling.

You need an extremely large tec to assist in cooling a regular sized tec. Throwing a smaller tec underneath the regular sized one isn't going to help you.

The TEC cooling the TEC that is cooling the heat load absolutly has to be larger than the first TEC. For the cold side of a TEC to be colder than the Hot side, the TEC has to be pumping less heat than it is rated for. If a 100 Watt TEC is given a 100W load, the Cold side won't be colder than the hot. If you try to get a 100 watt TEC to cool a 150 Watt TEC and a heat load, well you won't be cooling a thing. All the the pelts and the heat load will quickly heat up to the point of them all frying.

Back