• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

additives are nasty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TurboBoost

Additives are nasty...like water wetter or antifreeze or even windshield washer fluid.

Is there anything I can do with my dimineralized water that is not so toxic...?

Water wetter turns the water white and worse yet, makes it smell bad.
And if it leaves a nasty residue where ever it drips..

Yeah I have that problem with WW as well.... I a two year old system was heavly gunked over... My solution was to drain, refilled with 60% water / 40% "DRAINO". After a while I noticed the gunk slowing coming off. When you sqeeze the tubing the area which changes shape the gunk flows right off. I was going to run it for a week and let the gunk flow off by itself but i got impatient so i sqweezed all the tubing and cleaned it right up. BTW I am using clearflex. Now I flushed it out twice with tap water and in a few min i am going to flush it out with distilled water then refill with distilled water and a small (teaspoon) amount of "DRAINO". The only problem that it has bleach in it and I hear bleach will eat through plastics and rubber......? I am not too worried about loosing heat transfer or capacity considering I have a 120W TEC and duel temperature monitors. (coldplate, water temperature)
It would of been much easier just to replace the small amout of tubing but I wanted to remove the gunk in the blocks, pump, and rad to prevent as much as i can of contamination of the new water.

LMK what you think...

I have used CLR in my setup to flush it out. Using some Hy-per lube is not smelly for better performance. I currnetly am using the stuff from dtek and it dosn't smell. additives rock.

CLR = Calcium Lime and Rust

It's a cleaning product made specifically to remove calcium, lime, and rust deposits.

About bleach, I'm pretty sure it's really harsh on aluminum. Eats it away. I wouldn't use Draino. If you want to keep stuff from growing in your system get some bateriostat made for humidifiers.

i've used dteks additive as well. it looks yellow in the bottle but didn't change my system color. did improve my temps. smells not the greatest but i once it's in you wont' be smelling it again or anything.

I use the swiftech hydryx. It is just about perfect.

I absolutely hate Water Wetter, might as well put detergent in your system, because that is what it basically is.

Back