• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

car intank fuel pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TurboBoost

CRAP, I find myself needing a pump. My current pump would suddenly start making very loud noises so I'd need to turn it on/off/on/off to make it go away..

So...what do you guys think of using an intank fuel pump for water cooling?

Of course this would mean I'd bury the pump in a big container of water...

:clap:

Or should I just get an enheim 1280 pump..

From what I've seen they supply lots of pressure and not a whole lot of volume.. and they're very overpriced but I've been looking at summitracing.com so an OEM solution might be a better option.

l33t9eek said:
From what I've seen they supply lots of pressure and not a whole lot of volume.. and they're very overpriced but I've been looking at summitracing.com so an OEM solution might be a better option.

Well, I do have spare oem fuel pumps (also some walbro high performance -- those are too loud). I was wondering how loud would an oem intank pump be, cause when its inside a fuel tank, you can't hear it..

There is a article on the main page about these, the one they had "pulsed" so much that they could not use it. I wouldnt try it.

Errmm.

Sorry but you are wrong about that. Its nearly dead silent and do not add much heat at all on first setting, on third, thats another matter :)

And on 3:d setting the only noise i hear is from the water rushing thru the tubing/pump:)

So please dont tell me its loud when i sleep 3 yards away and cant hear it over 2120mm fans @5v..

EDIT: also would like to point out that i am using that pump with the no 2 rig in my sig and i dont think that is high temp, also i have a probe in the water wich reaches about 28-29C tops. And that is when ambient creeps up to 25-26C. Didnt wanna seem rude, but it IS working good, better results than same setup with a 1048 and with a 1250, and it makes less noise than either of those other pump. Yes less noise/vibration than a eheim 1048 on rubberfoam. That has to be rated as "not loud", right?

Last edited:
Vete, the power consumption is(im reading it off the pump, and hoping im getting it right) step1: 30w, step2:45w, step3:60w @220volts

l33t9eek said:

since when is 20.00 overpriced. I work in advance, thats damn cheap.

All? I only use it at step 1, and 25w is , i think, less output than a 1250...
Sorry to hear that u have a bad experience, mine is very quiet and was only 6-7 usd, seccond hand :D

With some minor mods to be necessary that is..

I dont remember too well but i did try one out in about late 2001 as far as i remember the wattage was alot higher than that and i think it had about 15m head on top setting (had 3). I never ran it in a proper loop as i ruled it out on the noise and heat issues. I will have to give it another try onday. I did save one from when we upgraded our heating system last year but it didnt have a wattage rating on it. it had a table printed on it but i couldent work it out.

(it wasnt super loud just had quite a noticable humm. Louder than my eheim 1250)

The best thing to do is compare one to a normal aquarium pump and see what happens

Another thing to say about the heat. I used to run it directly to the res, without a rad, and then the temps would creep up, reaching 45-50, but with the rad with 2 fans @5v it more or less keeps to stated temp, give or take 1C..
So i cant really do anything but recomend it as a good alternative.

Yeah, i so agree with that. That was actually what i did. this setup started out with a 1250, then went to a 1048, and then finally to the grundfos one.
About noise: the only sound eminating from the pump is a slight whisling/whirling sound of water, comming from beneath the screw-cap, but its so low as to be called noise, since a small peice of self-adhesive rubberfoam, totally remedies the problem.

(Yeah, i do LOVE this pump, perhaps it shows lol )

Back