• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the entire case...?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arabarabian

I am going to have a dual Opteron rig soon and I want it to be really silent so I was wondering if I made my own case if I could have two compartments, one for the phase change and one for the motherboard, drives, cards if I could set it up to cool the whole "unit"? I would make a case that was totally sealled off from the air so that would not be a problem. Also I could set it up so that it maintains the temp right at ambient temperature so I would have not condensation. Any suggestions would be great.

you mean something like this

server&cooler-back.jpg

http://vapochill.com/default.asp?sh...=sideid&myvalue=14&contentSection=2&menuID=-1

The VapoChill case Cooler uses at least 1000w
a waterchiller only 150w and and turns itself of if temperature is low enough
a waterchiller costs +/- 500 euro
a VapoChill case Cooler 2000 euro
waterchiller makes almost no sound
a VapoChill makes a lot of nois

if you mod an air conditioner into your case, that could work as well. also, put baking soda or other moisture absorbing material inside your case, so that the evaporator doesnt freeze over.

if youre cooling everything inside your computer, you dont need to worry about condesation on your parts, though it may become an issue on the outside of the case. it might be a good idea to insulate the outside.

I seen some projects where mobo + grafic card was diped in transformer oil filling aquarium. U can try puting it into fridge. JUst from time to time need to suck the watter from the buttom, but the system will be frozen and 100%moisture free.

:)

Or if u manage to seal the oil reservoir wiz mobo inside the condensation problem will be solved. :) Just come up with tht idea! When I got my hands on big fridge must try it out!

Come to think of it... Maybe the way is to dip the mobo+VGA+SOUND into a transformer oil together with the freezer cooling pipe system (the vaporator). It would chill the oil, even freez it. Dont know exactly, but in real low temperature it could become real sticky somthing like like butter. Than again, when the reservoir is sealed (difficulty is to seal the cable exit) no moisture will even get close to the oil and components at all. Nice glass or plexy box, covered with some insulation with mirror in it, few bulbs for illlumination and it could be real nice.

The disadventage is that u would have to get dirty when taking out the mobo out. Ofcors the drives and psu stay outside. I see no use extreme cooling those. In some posts I saw guy trying to put all his computer inside a fridge. Why he wons psu and CDrom go freezing - me dont know...

If you want to use a chemical to absorb air moisture, in those cases where you feel compelled to throw your computer in the fridge, use something like sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or anhydrous sodium sulfate (Na2SO4). Anhydrous sodium sulfate is used in chemistry labs to dry solutions (remove water). Plus you can visibly tell when/if you need to add/replace more by whether or not it's clumpy or lose (lose = dry). It's a small crystal something like salt or sugar, very safe, and you can order it cheap.

Last edited:
eweast said:
If you want to use a chemical to absorb air moisture, in those cases where you feel compelled to throw your computer in the fridge, use something like sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or anhydrous sodium sulfate (Na2SO4). Anhydrous sodium sulfate is used in chemistry labs to dry solutions (remove water). Plus you can visibly tell when/if you need to add/replace more by whether or not it's clumpy or lose (lose = dry). It's a small crystal something like salt or sugar, very safe, and you can order it cheap.

Where can it be ordered from?

Back