• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rad on the side, which in and out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froz

My rads are on their sides (or will be) but i'm wondering if it's better to have the inlet on the bottom or on the top to have less air anyways. this kind of stuff hurts my brain. any ideas if it's best to have the rad fill "up" or fill down?

thanks,
Froz

I run mine on its' side with the in on top so as to get an assist from gravity. I am presently in the process of building a dual core box and again the in will be on top. Outlet will go to second rad below so the rads will be stacked so to speak. I have not run into a restriction in flow using a mag 5. Fans (dual 120x30 ys techs and rad are not capable of cooling the 2.8c at anything above 1.7v and I would like to correct this problem or better stated, keep loaded rad exit temps below 22c.

Silver said:
I run mine on its' side with the in on top so as to get an assist from gravity. I am presently in the process of building a dual core box and again the in will be on top. Outlet will go to second rad below so the rads will be stacked so to speak. I have not run into a restriction in flow using a mag 5. Fans (dual 120x30 ys techs and rad are not capable of cooling the 2.8c at anything above 1.7v and I would like to correct this problem or better stated, keep loaded rad exit temps below 22c.

once the loop is filled would gravity have any impact though? i thought that restriction didn't work that way?

appreciate the info though.

its always best to have the inlet on the bottom

. by having the inlet on the bottom the air flows along with the current and helps it self bleed by releaseing the air out the top. gravity will not help you in a computer unless you are talking about a very large res like mine

you could read http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=299535
to learn a bit more as i covered it there also

I've got two sideways radiators in series, and as thorilan said, I've got the inlets at the bottom to aid bleeding.

Air rises, and with an inlet at the top, the air would be 'fighting' the flow of the water, making it take a lot longer for all the air to bleed properly.

Having your pump 'push' the water upwards probably doesn't increase the restriction of the radiator by much, certainly not enough to be noticed, unless the radiator was really huge.

well as long as u fill the rad before mounting it, i dont see no problem with horizontal placement. Just as long as u get all the air out, then the current of the water willn actually run smother, with les hinderence, than it would going from down to up.
So its more of a fuzz before its up and running, but once that is done i can se no disadvantage, so long the pump is strong enough.

Thanks much for the info folks. Not sure if I can fill it prior to mounting but we'll see.

Froz said:
once the loop is filled would gravity have any impact though? i thought that restriction didn't work that way?

appreciate the info though.

I still for the life of me can't figure out why the titanic sunk. Mass?

It had floodable compartments in the hull; it was designed to stay afloat with up to 4 of the compartments full. Unfortunately, 5 filled up :eek: An object will float in water as long as the object weighs less than the amount of water it displaces. Once an object has water inside of it, it's displacing less water and therefore more prone to sleepin with the fishes. :p

Gravity shouldn't affect a closed loop system, for every inch the water has to go up it'll have to go back down, kind of like a wheel- it'd spin forever no matter what orientation if friction wasn't so pesky. The bleeding is a good point- my system is a little messed up atm in a tube routing sense, so at the high point in the tubes I get this nice white-water rapid looking effect :D

Back