• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WaterCooled Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

therapture

Time to check in with the rank and file about some temps...

I am on my third WC rig, and my components are:

-DangerDen Maze4 w/ Lucite top
-Hydor L25 pump
-my own custom 4"x4"x2" all copper heatercore
-1/2" tubing in a T-style reservoir-less setup
-(2) 92mm Vantec Stealth in push-pull mode

CPU is an Mobile 2400+ clocked to 2.4ghz @1.775v
Case temps of @28c, idles at 36c and after 2 hours worth of Prime it managed a stable 44c. Hard gaming was same temps after an hours worth of UT2K4. I originally was seeing load temps of 50c to 52c. All I did to get to 45c was add a second 92mm Panaflo to the existing Vantec stealth fan, both are rated at 27cfm, and that made the difference. I also applied a bit more pressure to the waterblock and reapplied some artic silver original. The original single 92mm fan was in push mode and I believe it did not have enough pressure to push enough air through the rad. Now it is in push-pull mode and still very quiet...my VGA Silence next week, should improve case temps a bit too...

Opinions? My delta-t is only 8c over idle....

OK, OK, I will do some pics this afternoon. Man what a tough crowd!!! :p

Oh yeah, I had the rad made to my spec at a local radiator repair shop that will make ANYTHING custom, you supply the spec, they make it. All copper and $40....

Grab a new block if you can. The maze4 looks like it's designed mainly for tec use. If you don't plan on going tec, then grab a non-tec block. That should give you some lower temps. To reiterate: Let's see some pics. That rad sound's interesting.

This is the only semi clear one I got, I need to pop the side cover off and I will get some better pics in a bit, for now, here it is...

wc005.jpg

He stated above that it's 4x4x2 and that's definately an 80mm fan on there. First thing's first, gut another 80 and put it as a spacer. That will definately help.

pwnt by pat said:
He stated above that it's 4x4x2 and that's definately an 80mm fan on there. First thing's first, gut another 80 and put it as a spacer. That will definately help.

They are both 92mm fans and the rad actually overhangs just a bit on the sides of the fans.

Gut a fan and use as a spacer? It seems to be cooling pretty good now that I have it in a dual fan push pull setup, and the fans are so quiet...

Without a "spacer" or some kind of shroud, your fans have a deadspot in the middle of them where the radiator is not being cooled. Gutting a fan as a spacer will eliminate that dead area.

Moony is correct about the spacer. Have you tried a pull pull setup?
Airflow is right to left: fan<fan<spacer<rad That allows for some higher air pressure on the pull side so you should get slightly better performance over push/pull. Also, have you tried putting the rad closer to the front air inlet? If you can get it to fit between the harddrive racks up front that might help.

Back