• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The price of tygon has gone up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

At mcmaster the 1/2"id, 3/4"od, 1 3/4" bend radius Tygon is now 3.50 a foot. It used to be 1.50 if my memory serves me well. Dangerden sells this tygon for ~2.90... What happened?

pwnt by pat said:
At mcmaster the 1/2"id, 3/4"od, 1 3/4" bend radius Tygon is now 3.50 a foot. It used to be 1.50 if my memory serves me well. Dangerden sells this tygon for ~2.90... What happened?
yeah, thats weird... www.usplastics.com has it for $2.91... still seems like it went up though. Search US Plastics site for 57121.

pwnt by pat said:

i fear your memory doesn't serve you well.... macmaster has always been more than DD for Tygon i think.. seems to be $3.80/ft not $3.50... they do give a big discount for buying 50ft....

i would speculate that DD use it as a "loss leader"...

Corporate sharks smell money in the water? :D

My silicone tubing was ~$1.00 per foot when I bought it origionally. Now look at it :eek:
Guess coolsleaves and Home Depot thin wall vinyl are looking better and better everyday. Let's watch the price of that edge upwards too...

I would not be surprised to find out this was related to the Iraq situation. Plastics are made from oils, and we import those. could be wrong, but it makes sense in my head.

Yea lets just blame Iraq! hehe sounds like a good plan to me at least. It almost sounds like a conspiricy against us water coolers. They want us to pay more...They know we need the tubing....They are watching our every move and staining our hoses!.... Errr sorry bout that got a little out of hand. But seriously the price has gone up and I can not figure out why.

pauldenton said:
i fear your memory doesn't serve you well.... macmaster has always been more than DD for Tygon i think.. seems to be $3.80/ft not $3.50... they do give a big discount for buying 50ft....

i would speculate that DD use it as a "loss leader"...

Nope, definately $3.50. The entire 1/2-3/4 tygon row is as follows
1/2" 3/4"... cleaflex... 1 3/4" 2,5,10,25,50 36 5114K31 3.50 34 5553K19 3.50

I could have sworn that it was around a buck-fifty/foot becuase I had planned on buying some. This is a shame.

daniel, it's 1/2" Internal diameter, 3/4" Outer diameter.

I wonder if we'll see third (or fourth) party dealers like Dangerden, Cooltechnica, etc raise their prices soon to reflect whatever is going on. I hope not.

pwnt by pat said:
Nope, definately $3.50. The entire 1/2-3/4 tygon row is as follows
1/2" 3/4"... cleaflex... 1 3/4" 2,5,10,25,50 36 5114K31 3.50 34 5553K19 3.50

hmm - off to the site again ...... ah i see why:

if i search for 5553K19 it offers me Tygon B-44-4X (food and dairy on page 83) at $3.50/ft.....

i had been talking about Tygon R-3603 (which is what DD sell at $2.90/ft) and which is on page 85 5554K19 3.80

compared to the one you had it seems to be a bit more flexible (smaller bend radius and lower psi rating)

perhaps it's the food and beverage stuff that's jumped in price??

Back