• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Innovatek Kit - Good or Bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seifz

Registered
I've read a fair bit of the FAQs and topics on this forum and, to be honest, all of these custom things don't seem like something that I could do. So, I'm going to buy a pre-made water cooling kit (unless you can recommend me a custom one that is better and just as easy to install). After speaking with a friend, I learned that he's had an Innovatek rig on his Athlon for two years and hasn't had a problem. From the reviews I've read, they seem like a really good choice for pre-made kits. I was considering this one: http://tinyurl.com/2z6uf

My specs. are at the bottom of this post. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

AMD Athlon 2800+
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
2x512MB PC2700 DDR
Maxtor 80GB Ultra ATA/133
MSI Geforce FX5600 XT (256MB)
Creative SB Audigy2 ZS

I don't know the case model. It's a CompUSA case, though, and it seems pretty large. Also, will I need a place to mount a 120mm fan with this kit? Or, will one of those 80mm to 120mm ducts be good enough?

I would not reccomend a 80-120 adapter. It would severly restrict airflow.

Innovatek kits are not bad (their blocks are quite nice) but they're rather expensive for what you could get for a custom kit from Dtekcustoms or Dangerden or Swiftech.

You still have to fill it with water and take the same precautions you would with the innovatek. You should have nothing to worry about doing your own as long as you read, do your homework, and take your time.

Well, I only have spaces for 80mm fans on my case. If I did a 2x80mm push/pull setup, would it be better than getting the duct and using a 120mm fan?

I really don't want to mod my case in any way at all, so I'm hesitant about those custom kits.

Ugh.....

If you don't want to mod it you could try mounting the radiator outside the case. You really should attach 120mm fans to a radiator that can take it, push pull if you can.

Or a BI micro2 with 2 or 4 80mms on it would do decently if you want.

Well, I do have space for two 80mm fans on the back of my case, one right above the other, so I think a 4x80mm will have to be the way I go. But, actually, there's a motherboard in the way, so it might be a problem. Unless I attached it to the back of the case, but then I'd have to mod the case so hoses could fit through. Maybe I should just get a new case.

A new case would be ideal if your budget allows. In that case if you want to avoid modding try to find something with 120mm fan mounts already built in.

Well, I'll decide what to do about the case/fan situation. Until then, if I go custom, would you recommend DangerDen of Swiftech? And if you don't mind, what's lucite? Better than copper? I see it often around here.

Sorry to trouble you so late. But thanks for the help so far. :)

I'd guess Lucite is used in place of the lexan tops because lexan was more prone to cracking, but don't take my word on that one. Neither will be better, more a matter of choice.

I'd reccomend Swiftech 6000 series blocks but a heater core of some sort (Chevette or otherwise) for a radiator. You should check out www.dtekcustoms.com for good kits too.

So, is Lucite a better choice than copper for the top? Also, where would I find a heatercore that could be used? I haven't seen them on any of the three sites you recommended.

Again, thanks for the help.

If the heater core is so much better, why is it so much cheaper than some of the radiators? The double heater core at DangerDen is only $34.99 while the Black Ice Xtreme II is $120.00 (both without shrouds/fans/etc.). I've seen a lot of people with the Chavette heatercore. Is that the current "leader?"

The Heater core will not be:
1. Ready from the start for pc watercooling
2. Powercoated
3. Preinstalled with a shroud (bix2 has a shroud built in)
4. Pre Drilled for mounting in a case

So yea thats why its so much cheaper.

If you want to mount your radiator on the outside back of your case without modding it, you can take out two of your PCI slot covers to run the tubes through. Also They make a slot cover that has two holes for the tubes to run through, but i'm not sure on what size holes they are.

Ah, awesome idea about the tubes. I think that's exactly what I will do since it'll be cheaper than buying a new case. And, the case I have is less than a year old, so I'd like to keep it for a while.

With that in mind, I think I'll get the 4x80mm radiator that was suggested. I don't have the technique to fix up a heater core, really. Thanks everyone. :)

Ack, I do have two more quick questions. I think I'm going to go with DangerDen. Do I want TDX or Maze4? Also, how does a water cooling system get power?

If you want a DD block then the TDX for sure.

A pump gets it's power either from the 12VDC lines inside the computer or 110VAC from the wall run through a relay commonly.

So I will be able to power the system with my PSU or a PCI relay? Great. Thanks again for the help, you guys are awesome.

Now lets not just to conclusions, the Maze 4 is the IDEAL choice for low flow systems, a an eheim 1046 would die at the hands of a TDX. The maze 4 is a great block and with a little TLC is can compare to stock "high performance" blocks. The calculated C/W on my Maze 4 is between .15-.2 which is awesome. Just get a block of glass and some auto sandpaper you wont be dissapointed with the effects of lapping!

Back