• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the signs? Leak?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

way2ez4u

besides water loss, what are the signs you have a leak? Does the system just shut off? I'm using just plain distilled water. would i notice since it has low conductivity? who's got a story?

could leak on a component and make ur computer not boot up or spaze (artifacts, freezing, random reboots, who knows?)

Well if water drips of your video card, which is normally right below your WB, you'll notice artifacts all over your screen, it's not pretty. I've had water drip on my sound card before and not had a problem, but thats not to say that nothing will happen. I think alot of people put suran wrap or somthing like that on top of thier cards to prevent leaks from doing any damage. Another good sign that you're loosing water is if you have a T-line or reservoir and the water level declines at a high rate. Water will evaprate anyway, so don't mistake that for a leak. Leaks can also suck in a little bit of air, so if you see a rise in temps or little bubbles, look to see if you've got a puddle somewhere.

way2ez4u said:
besides water loss, what are the signs you have a leak? Does the system just shut off? I'm using just plain distilled water. would i notice since it has low conductivity? who's got a story?

Hehe who doesn't have a story? Yes, you will notice a leak, distilled water will short out circuits just fine.

If you're worried about it I'd suggest setting up your system in such a way that you can see the water level in your reservoir or T-Line at all times from the outside. Provides a legitimate excuse for a case window, if you like those. Water loss is a sure sign something is not right (as mentioned, slight evaporation is fine).

Any water will short out ur Cuircuts, one time i had a leak and ididnt know it, i was watching a DVD, and my screen had all kinds of artifatcs and then i smelt a burning smell and my ti4600 went poof, Oh well i got a 9700pro in return this was way back when the 9700pro was first released.

that doesnt make sense because water needs to have ions in it to conduct electricity, and distilled water should be ion-free...

the water picks or leeches ions out of the copper/alu blocks in your system, so even if you use distilled it dosent stay non-conductive for too long. also you should have some kinda corrossion inhibitor in there and mabe a biocide, you never know what may start growin in there you know.

A wet floor? ;)

edit: but seriously sometimes you will get small bubbles in the loop, If water gets on your componants anything can happen. Anything from minor artifacting and instibility to explosions and fire. :thup:

thanks for the replies. I got some hydrx in there now. I was wondering this water leakage thing because my computer was going a little wacky and realized i forgot to mark my water level when i cleaned and refilled it. Turned out I had bad stick of memory.

I don't have to worry about my vid card so much since the mobo is lying flat. I've got it angled slightly so that water would take the shortest route of the board.

Back