• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building Resevoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimedog

I want to mount my iwaki 30rzt's intake (36' of head) into a custom built resevoir and was wondering what materials I should use to build it? I'm looking at usplastics' sheets link and was wondering if I should do acrylic, vinyl, etc? How thick, and what kind of cement to hold it together?
Dan

if u have a local tapplastic store, u can have them drill the holes for u. i ended up cracking my reservoir. i would go with acrylic, polycarbonate is better, but its too hard to work with. should be atleast 1/4" imo. i would get an aquarium sealer (silicon, or something like that) those work best with me and u don't have to worry about coolant eatting it away.

If you must use plastic them make it thick (3/8" is good). I would say polycarbonate is better as acrylic tends to be eaven more brittle.

However i strongly advise against the use of Plexi/Acrylic/Poly etc etc. as its very prone to breaking. I dont know what facilitys you have but a Aluminum or eaven Brass res is a better option. athough that may not be possible unless you have acess to some of the nessicary equipment.

As for plexi/poly/acrylic res's breaking - what CAN'T go in the water to avoid this?

I think he is trying to hint at the fact that some additives desolve parts of the glue and cause joins to weaken meaning your res falls apart. :rolleyes:

Thats not the main problem. The main problem is stress on the fittings causing cracks to propogate.

slater3333uk said:
I think he is trying to hint at the fact that some additives desolve parts of the glue and cause joins to weaken meaning your res falls apart. :rolleyes:

Thats not the main problem. The main problem is stress on the fittings causing cracks to propogate.

oooo, guess i got confused by the breaking part :p
either silicon or marine/plumbers goop. i've used them for years and never had a leak. i tried a different kind on my reservoir (cuz i was out of the otherstuff) and guess what, it started leaking after 10days of use

the best way to get info for this is to go to your plastics store and tell them the exact requirements and rough idea what you want. so make sure they know what fluid will be in the res. they should be able to recomend something to fit your needs. currently there are so many diferent materials out there you can use that anything we tell you here will be just a small hint at possibilities

lucite acryclic is pretty hard to work with but if you use a dremel at high speeds it cuts pretty decent w/o cracking. a freaking mess for sure but doable. the real problem is cleaning it and sealing it well.

19 gauge copper sheet works well - I used harris stay-bright 8 on the seams - no leaks, solid copper res.

stay-bright 8 specs:
Joint strength: copper
Sleeve joint (in tension) 15,000 PSI
Shear strength 11,000 PSI
th seams should hold for awhile... :D

I used a 12mm polycarbonate base, with a hole cut in for my eheim1250's inlet. Although I had to file the hole a tad bigger, I put epoxy resin on the outide of the pump inlet, and then pushed the pump inlet through the hole. This has worked really well, and no leaks at all. If you put a nice sized ring of epoxy resin all round the outside of the inlet, and then let the pump sit on top of the reservoir (upside down in my case) then you get a nice fillt, and any fluid action will just let the epoxy run down into the cracks anyway.
I then used clear acryllic tube, 76mm ID, 4mm wall thickness, about 300mm length and used a product called plastic weld - not JB weld - this stuff is higly volatile, and works into the join by capilliary action. I used a makeshift pipette to apply the plastic weld to both sides of the tube (inside and out, not back and front, lol) on the polycarbonate base, and it's welded up a nice watertight seam that's been working for months now. The epoxy resin has discoloured where it's visible, but only to a translucent yellow / brown, and only because my water is dyed with flourescein/flourescene however you spell it. anyway, with the res inlet pipe put off center, it makes a nice spirally vortex, and filters out bubbles really well.

Back