• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hydor L30 Shaft Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

I have the Hydor L30 and ran it for the 24 hour test period, and it started making a rattle. On each end of the magnet there is a small white disk. The only thing i can see that is making that rattle is one of the white disks farthest from the impeller is loose and can slide on the 1/4" area of clear shaft. Im wondering if this is normal or should i glue that white disk back on the end. Thanks

-Archer

Last edited:
I used this off the other post its the disc with the big arrow pointing to it, some seem attached and some dont it seems it would cause a noise like that. Thanks
Also thanks to Maverick1707 for the picture since im on vacation and dont have a digital camera.
-Archer

Last edited:
I have a hydor l30 and the back disk is loose as well. I cannot hear the pump over the ~30db fans, so I suspect this is not the problem.

I have seen a couple posts on this pump here and elsewhere. Thorilan posted an excellent "how to" for reassembling this pump, but since that is in the thread where the picture was, I'm sure you saw it.

While this may be obvious, bleeding the air out of your system is essential. If possible, "rotate" the pump back and forth 30 degrees while its running to get those last few pesky bubbles out. Bubbles would account for mild rattling, but for serious noise, you may want to consider super-glue "fix". Also, cooltechnica sells the impellers themselves for $15 a whack. I throw this out there as an fyi- I think your problem is fixable.

Hope this helps,

Mechsiah

Well it does not matter if its not my pictures all im wondering if that white disk the blue big arrow is pointing to is loose on anyone else.

Thanks other guys for the help im still looking for pictures of the shaft and from what i can tell it needs to be on the magnet, im going to get some super glue today and add just a dot of it and see what happens.

thorilan said:
how do you know that yours is loose if you have never opend up your pump?
About two hours later from when the noise started I opened up the pump, the little white disk is moving on there. I saw your L35 little white disk was attached to the magnet. Here is the post Here

Last edited:
ahh ok so when oyu said you hadnt touched it you meant before opening it after it made noise.

is yours a L30i or ii ?
and does it say which factory on the box. im getting the impression that there is more than 1 factory that makes the impellors . and it may be that one of the the factories isnt up to snuff because that impellor doesnt look like mine or the replacement one for my L30

Its a sheltz L30I, and a side note i hooked it all up consiting of a L30, Black Ice Pro, and Maze4 CPU block the processor im using is a 2.8E Prescott and the bios reported a temp of 49C which is horable on air it got around 38C with Stock Intel HSF. I dont know if im appling to much or to little Thermal paste, im using dot the sizw of a BB. Im a n00b when it comes to WC so im missing something here, it will probably hit me in the night. Otherwise i made the L30 a little bit more quiet but it got loud again but does not bother me to much unless its causing a preformace drop.

Edit

Making the Block tighter to the CPU got it down to 44-45 range still getting lower but not still in the Air range yet.

Last edited:
Well I have the hydor L30II and it had been making a rattle sound the last 3 nights now. I took my hands and compressed the blue plastic lock down to the back of the pump and that made the rattel less. It seems as though these loosen a little after a few weeks use and begin to rattle. I don't see much of a way to fix the rattle and think I am goin gto purchase a MCP600.

your mothorboard reports diferently with airflow than it does with stationary air

aka diodes like airflow.

also there is a possibility that you need to remount and tighten your block correctly.

without pics of your setup and more specific info cpuid info there sint much that can be done to help

So you are thinking that the temp is actually lower but the diode on the board does not think so because of air flow? Right now im sitting around 39C with MBM5. Also its a DD Maze4 and is it susposted to be shiny because it is not, but they say they are all laped to 600 Grit before shipping.

Edit​

you can see my compuers CPUZ specs Here Normally i got 512 DDR but one stick broke but gettng replacement in 2 days.

Last edited:
Back