• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why doesn't anyone use copper pipes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

Instead of plastic tubing? Other than the fact that they are enormously difficult to adapt to a computer situation? Would there be any significany benefit? Everything in your house uses copper pipes - the tubes to your dishwasher, your water heater.. well, not your sink, cuz they're just draining shtuff.. but where hot water is being used (obviously, because alluminum bends at 75°C, and pvc just melts past a certain point)...

..but other than that.. anyone know who has actually used copper pipes? Plumbers tape makes for some secure connections.

-Frank

ppl do use them but remember copper is also an excelent conductor.... your normal pipes dont have electricty running near it

a c i d.f l y said:
Instead of plastic tubing? Other than the fact that they are enormously difficult to adapt to a computer situation? Would there be any significany benefit? Everything in your house uses copper pipes - the tubes to your dishwasher, your water heater.. well, not your sink, cuz they're just draining shtuff.. but where hot water is being used (obviously, because alluminum bends at 75°C, and pvc just melts past a certain point)...

..but other than that.. anyone know who has actually used copper pipes? Plumbers tape makes for some secure connections.

-Frank

There would be no benefit in a computer cooling situation. It would be silly to tell me everything in my house uses copper... we use mostly pex tubing. And where do you get the idea that plumbers use tape for connections ??

it is used in several systems as i have done 1 server system with them BUT they are way more expencive way more permenant and way more dificult to manage . if you want a cooling solution for 20 harddrives and are going to use a huge pump then go for it but in a small case for a personal computer its a wasste with the exception of a few situations using them just for tight turn radiuss

Regarding the tape.... I think he is talking about the white teflon tape that goes over the threads on the end of a fitting in order to insure a sealed connection.

I would not want to use copper pipe because it would be harder to bend vs. plastics and I would probably have to use elbow joints, and that may introduce more resistance to the WC setup.

And don't forget, copper sheds heat quickly. While it may be nominal, you are trying to deliver the heat to the radiators, so the heat can be removed from your case. Your plastic tubes are actually insulating, which in this case (pun) is what youre after.

The copper certainly looks cool though!

Mechsiah

Yes, I was referring to teflon sealing tape.

And if you read, I stated that most things involving a significant amount of heat (other than ambient) uses copper (or should) tubes. Your sink uses PVC to drain.

What I'm curious is, would there be any benefit, any possibility in "sinking" the entire tube? If you've spent $300+ on a wc setup, what difference does $50 make?

-Frank

a c i d.f l y said:

And if you read, I stated that most things involving a significant amount of heat (other than ambient) uses copper (or should) tubes. Your sink uses PVC to drain.

What I'm curious is, would there be any benefit, any possibility in "sinking" the entire tube? If you've spent $300+ on a wc setup, what difference does $50 make?

-Frank
BTW, I don't know of any (good) plumber that uses Teflon tape...
Plumbers use thread sealants.
Every time I speak about Teflon tape with a plumber they are laughing at me and telling me that it's for noobs...

I do like copper in my loop, but for the simple reason that I dislike the small ID of most hose barbs. I use 15mm OD copper (13mm ID) to replace all barbs, and also 90° copper elbows to replace sharp plastic elbows.

On my old Maze3:
pict0152.jpg

On the GF4 block of my GF4400:
pict0176.jpg

On my Eheim 1250:
pict0221.jpg

On my airtrap:
pict0228.jpg

On my Fill & Bleed system:
pict0229.jpg

CD :)

Turbokeu said:
BTW, I don't know of any (good) plumber that uses Teflon tape...
Plumbers use thread sealants.
Every time I speak about Teflon tape with a plumber they are laughing at me and telling me that it's for noobs...

You cant know many plumbers then. Ive worked in the building industry long enough to know plumbers use teflon tape when its nessicary. Main differance is they allways use a sealing compound aswell. ;)

I use copper tubing. 1/2" OD.

http://home.wmis.net/~jberg/Dcp_0707.jpg

The elbows have a better bend radius than the 5/8" OD stuff.

You have to watch for pressure from the tubing, it can easily rock your waterblocks off of a solid mount. To directly connect to the block, the copper has to be perfectly aligned, or it always will produce pressure sideways to the block. That's why I use the silicone tubing for the junction from copper to waterblock.

In my case, the cpu temp is lower than the case temp, so it adds nothing to the cooling (except for being unkinkable). I gave the tubing several thick coats of paint to help keep the tubes from trying to cool the case air, thus raising the ammount of heat my radiator has to shed, and they're still cool to the touch.
My heatercore's in the 20-25C basement.

I don't like how it looks, and I like my computer to look good. I suppose that's sort of rediculous and geeky, but screw it. It's mine.

a c i d.f l y said:

-Frank

The usage of copper tubing in homes has absolutely nothing to do with heat. There is more heat in a plastic or iron sewer pipe than a cold water copper line.

copper pipe system...I had just about fought down the urge to build it and then you have to post a thread all about it.... :bang head

lol.

I have given this a bit of thought and I think there could be some advantages to it if it were done correctly. Also, with the right setup, switching out components wouldn't be that hard -- I have semi-tested a method for having copper pipe that still allows changing out components like heatercores, pumps and waterblocks and it works well.

advantages - no chance of tubes kinking, slightly better flow rates, looks very cool.
problems - obviously more expensive, obviously more work. the conductivity (thermal or electrical) can be dealt with easily enough so I don't consider that a problem.

some general ideas on setting it up, some tools that would help and how it could still allow for changing out components:
obviously, anytime to you have to resort to radical angles, you loose some flow. The 90 degree copper elbows would be a no-go for max flow. damn, that kinda rhymed...Anyway, that would leave the 45 degree elbows as one possible solution for taking corners - you could add a 45 then a short section of copper pipe and another 45 elbow to get a 90 degree turn that wouldn't have as much of a flow rate hit but there is a better way to handle that -- the 1/2 copper pipe bender...add some more $$ to the expense list but it you are going to go all out on this, get a pipe bender. All you have to do is take a look at some of the hardcore pipe work done by the custom phase change guys to realize that you can do stuff with copper pipe that is nothing short of artwork - some of the copper pipe work on the custom cascade systems is flat out amazing. You wouldn't need anything as extreme as the loops they create for phase change but a copper pipe bender would allow you to create loop that had smooth curves for all of the bends required and sections of the loop between components could be made from one piece each so so there wouldn't be any seams....and it would get rid of a good deal of work with the torch. Once the copper pipe was bent, you could bracket it to the floors and walls of the case to keep it in place.

leaving a way to change out components:
this is simple and effective. :D
Get the copper pipe bent out for each section between components but leave it to where it stops about 2" short of where you plan to mount your individual components. 1/2" ID tygon or clearflex can be stretched over 1/2" ID copper pipe so just make the last 2" jump from the copper pipe to the heatercore, waterblock and pump with tygon or clearflex and then use metal hose clamps to lock the tygon or clearflex in place. a short, straight section of flexible tubing isn't going to screw up anything and it would provide a way to swap out components and take the components off if they needed to be cleaned.

If you were really concerned about shorting something out with the copper pipe, you could coat it with a spray-on rubber coating like rubberized undercoating used on cars. Liquid electric tape would work as well.
If you have everything bracketed to the case, I doubt it would be a problem in the first place.

I use 3/4 inch PVC for most of my big LEGO rig. The pump is all connected with PVC, and the rads are connected using a short piece of auto heater hose, to the PVC, the W/Bs are run off of manifolds running behind the mobos, with 1/2 inch flex tubing running to each W/B.

The whole PVC rig cost me $10, and it is so cheap, that it won't hurt to replace, for the next re-do.

steve

Back