• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is an "air trap"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueMan

I feel embarassed, but I just have no clue what this is.

someone recommended one to me in my 'not-uncarved block' thread, and I just saw someone else talking about one.

I saw a link to Torbokeu's thread on building his own, but the page wouldn't load. So I'm also quite curious how these are built.

anyone care to explain?

thanks

i guess I'm confused what the difference between that and a regular resevoir is. Do people use both at the same time or is only one necesary?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=290448

Thats mine, its kind of a super t line/res. It bleeds the system VERY fast, my tline used to take around a day to bleed, this takes about 10 minutes. It cost me about 10 bux at home depot and is awesome, i wouldnt go back to my t line.. ever :D

If you need soem more info let me know

ok, so let me get this straigh. An air trap uses large ID 90* bends to shake up the water and let the air bubbles float to the top, then they go to the surface where you can uncap the Res section of the air trap and let the air out? then once all the air is out you just cap it up?

I just ordered all my componants, and a criticool waterplant was part of it. How would I go about modifying that to get an air trap? or is it even possible?

BlueMan said:
ok, so let me get this straigh. An air trap uses large ID 90* bends to shake up the water and let the air bubbles float to the top, then they go to the surface where you can uncap the Res section of the air trap and let the air out? then once all the air is out you just cap it up?

I just ordered all my componants, and a criticool waterplant was part of it. How would I go about modifying that to get an air trap? or is it even possible?

yeap
but the water has to flow into the part with the bend
otherwise id have water being shot to my cieling

It works best at the top:

RightSideOpen.jpg

does it create any great splashing noise? and do you need a resevoir if you have one of these?

squeakygeek said:
That doesn't really help you :rolleyes:

yeah i know lol i was going to make in indication it makes no difference
it makes me feel better so thats where its gonna stay lol

The link works for me :-/. Here's another link for Turbokeu's airtrap. It looks like the same one on his site but with elbows on the inlet/outlet.

Blueman, I think of an airtrap as a larger (usually) & more effective T-line. It can be anything that effectively traps/bleeds air out of a wc loop.

Soja said:
The link works for me :-/. Here's another link for Turbokeu's airtrap. It looks like the same one on his site but with elbows on the inlet/outlet.
My airtrap has indeed two 90° copper elbows as in-and outlet but the three other ones that I build had straight in-and outlets on demand.

Actually it looks like this (a water temp sensor has been added to it):
pict0228.jpg

CD :)

Thanks Torbokeu! That guide is great.

a few more questions:

*Would it be good/bad if an airtrap was used in conjunction with a regular old resevoir? What should the order in a 2 block loop if it were?

*Are the 90* turns better or worse than the straigh versions you made?

Back