• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems WCing, or what not to do!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaelStar1

Registered
I posted a while ago, gathering information, etc, and have finally come back for the update!

I have to buy 3' more tubing or so, because I cut the tubes too short b/w the heatercore and the pump, and also had the pump backwards when I did it. When I reversed the pump, I ended up having to lay the pump on it's side (an L30, kinda loud when it's just vibrating on a table) elevated by some books.

Also, the socket was brittle and part of it broke off when I was putting the waterblock posts in. I didn't notice right away and went to put the waterblock on- one of the posts lost the bottom nut and the whole thing slipped, and I think it chipped or crushed something, because the system won't stay on longer than 3 seconds now with the processor in :bang head:

I needed a new motherboard anyways, but I was gonna wait for pci-x :eh?:

Aside from the tubes too short, and the mb/cpu breaking, the WC system works great. No leaks or anything :p

Didn't think of that. Would it really heat up to that point in 3 seconds, even with a heatsink held on top of it?

I have yet to use a mobo with that service, so I dont know much about thermal protection. But, a heatsink not making contact at all is worthless !! I beleiev a proc without a HS can heat up to the breaking point in under three seconds !!, so with a HS attached but not properly mated, it may take three seconds or more. put an old Air-cooling HS on and run your CPU at stock speeds to check for stability past 3 seconds.

good luck
SenC

Try to find where the board is damaged.....what does the look like?

EDIT:And make sure there isn't a gap between the water block and the cpu.

When I installed my heatsink I thought it was making good contact and I was about to boot up the computer for the first time; I noticed that the heatsink was sitting a atleast 1mm off of the cpu :drool:

It lives! The way I was putting the waterblock on created a torque to the side, which was making a gap b/w the waterblock and the core. I found what looked like molten AS3 down there when I took it apart :p

Thank you to Senator Cache for the thermal protection idea- that was exactly it. It wouldn't stay on with the heatsink sitting on top, but if I pushed the sink down onto the proc it would stay on long enough to post. I took my CPU shim off, it seemed to be causing seating issues with the TDX block.

So, even with a chipped socket my computer is running now, albeit very ghetto-style, with tubes just laying on the floor looping around itself :)

As of right now, I'm experiencing a TWENTY DEGREE CELSIUS temperature drop over my stock cooling system :) I went from 52* to 33* at 100% load. My Heatercore fan is backwards, and my tubing is too long, I bet I can get that another degree or two lower..

and then I get to OC the hell out of my system to raise it back up to 50, mwahaha!

Thanks to all who helped :)

You're a disgrace to this planet and should have your water cooling setup taken away from you!! :p

Just kidding. :D

Glad it all worked out fine. Good luck on getting the temps even lower.
Over time, I've realised that computer components can take much more damage than people make it out to be. It's always good to be careful though.

Do it slowly next time ;)

:eek: Don't take it away, I no longer have the part of the socket that the heatsink clamps onto :)

Definitely. Overeagerness got the best of me for sure this time. Honestly, I had the WB posts "de-nut" themselves several times, enough to make me wanna scream and kick things. I shoulda walked away :) It's nothing a good torque-down with a socket didn't cure!

Back