• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Male Molex Connector?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Buddha

So I'm putting together my Maze 4-1...everything is all good (finding which side of the pelt was hot or cold was especially fun). But then I need to connect the two pelt wires to a male molex connector so I can connect it to the psu. Danger Den didn't include one so...where do I get one?

Thanks.

DON'T USE A MOLEX CONNECTOR!!!!

they have very small high resistance contact patches, and tend to get WAY too hot and burn with all that current in them.

Either solder the thing directly in, or use some other high current connector.

Errr...the reason I delayed the volt-mods on my mobo was that I had no money for a multimeter, soldering iron, and solder...so soldering is out of the question atm. Say I take the chance with a male molex connector...where could I get one?

If you really can't afford a soldering iron, you can just use a lighter, although it is a bit sketchy. Just heat the wires with the flame and apply the solder. I have done this a few times in a pinch, and it work's pretty well.

80w peltier should be ok, I was thinking he was thinking of a 220. I do know that an 80w will get warm, maybe even hot but not roasting hot.

take that connector off of an old fan with a pass through? something like that maybe.

Jon

those fan connectors that hook to molex connector dealies;) it looks like an extention with 2 wires comming out of it. could mod one of those to the ends.

Jon

Oh I know what you're saying...I have plenty of of those 3-pin to molex converter connectors. The black and red wires seem pretty well soldered on to the black and yellow molex wires though...

what a genious;)

well in past times, I have just yanked those wires out, they are crimped in. you just want to be sure not to wreck anything. ya know what, I have one of those laying around and if you really have a problem with doing that, shoot me a pm

Jon

Ok if I die, it will be because my house burned down from my molex connector burning up and turning black. Matt, I am running a 80W TEC on my Maze 4-1 gpu block (80W on cpu = cold side becoming the really hot side lol).

What do you guys think of running it 24/7? It should be ok if it's not burning hot and doesn't turn brown or black right?

Ok everything is setup now. CPU temps are 36 C load with 29 C case temp. Ummm...but ATI overdrive says my pelted 9800XT is running 68 C! And I get crazy artifacts in many games. I touched the 9800XT PCB and its really hot.

Is my pelt not working? Time to panic? I examined it and looks like everything is flat and making good contact. I connected my pelt wires by twisting the bare ends of the bare ends of a molex. Weird thing is the molex isn't hot at all.

You think it's my pelt connector?

It's sandwiched pretty tight between the cold plate and base of the Maze 4-1 gpu block...and I tested to see which were the hot and cold sides. So that can't be it :(

Trust me molex isnt good for a peltier.... it gets blacker than a cheesecake in a blue fire with monkeys on the side with broomsticks.

did you crack the pelt by overtightening it?

it definatly isn't working right. Take it off and test it out.

I can use the Maze 4-1 block without the pelt and coldplate right? I think I'm going to test it out and see if I broke the pelt :(

Back