• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another WC noob "Is this a good Kit" Post, This Time, with Picture!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaso

So I've been Umming and Ahhhing for many weeks about watercooling, I have finally been Dissuaded from getting one of them Zalman ones, dispite the fact they look uber cool. So i was looking for Custom Kits.

I'm not a total Noob, i've been reading the Forums quite a bit so i know about the whole Using 3/8th piping on 1/2 Barbs for a better Fit, and that i should get a heatercore rather than a standard Rad. So I have finially come up with this [see attached Pic] and i'd like some general opinions on it also a couple of Questions.
First Can i use The DangerDen Chipset Block on my GPU (ATi R9800), because the DangerDen GPU blocks don't match the rest of they're stuff, and i like things to match, if not can you Recomend a good GPU block that has the whole Copper Base/ Lucite top thing going on
Second Do you know any Good Watercooling Shops in the UK, this one is farly good, but the bigger the range the better.
Third Any Suggestions/Changes to the List?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    32.8 KB · Views: 321
yep get 1/2" and you're fine. The black plastic clamps can be.. deceiving with Tygon, so beware (leak test everything for 24h..).

u might need more than 10 clamps.....hmm

also, i think the wye comes with the cpu block......u should check that

WhatTheSchmidt said:
u might need more than 10 clamps.....hmm

also, i think the wye comes with the cpu block......u should check that

yes rbx should have a Y with it
you need 12 clamps (or 14 if you want a gpu block too)
6 for the rbx + y
2 for the chipset
2 for the rad
2 for the pump

you appear to have no res and no Tee either (don't forget clamps for this too)

jubilee clips (worm drive clamps to those not from the UK) are better, and will be cheaper too as you can buy them individually...
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=46
(if i have your chosen supplier right...)

the only GPU block i can think of sold in the UK that fits your criteria is the asetek waterchill one - you'll have to swap the fittings for suitable sized barbed ones (plastic will be safest)
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_54&products_id=260
2 of these would do i believe, but may be best taking the old fittings to a plumbing supplies place to make sure you get the right ones...
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=158

You might want to order directly from dangerden. I did, and with the shipment and the 19% tax, it's still cheaper to get it from them.
I ordered a TDX, a heatercore, maze4 chipsetblock, a reservoir and some smaller things. I saved about 40 euro's plus the TDX isn't available in Europe yet, so you might want to consider that.

[edit]

£100 is about US$190
I live in the Netherlands and shipment was $40-something , just for the comparison :)

JFettig said:
Because you want restriction to be in waterblocks, not in tubing. Tubing does not cool anything ;) Maximise your flow up to the waterblock to promote high coolant velocities.

well theres the answer that I was looking for.

Heres a question for you, How much of a difference will it make to performance?

Heres my answer of why not:
The answer you should be getting/giving to the question above,
Much more difficult to route throughout the case, thats my big one, I couldnt even make a bend from my cpu to gpu and keep it inside the case when I had 1/2" tubing.
and it looks neater to have the 3/8" tubing.

Those are my opinions and experience and my observations,
Jon

i agree that routing and looks are better with the 3/8 but it actualy depends most on which mobo and NB block you use for those bends

he didnt specify a case which would have actualy helped us help him out a little better

I personally think the gains overall of 3/8" tubing outweigh the gains of 1/2" tubing quite a bit as I have stated above.

and if you look at most performance graphs, you can see that at a certain point there is so little to gain performance wize, that point is usually around the 3/8" tubing to 1/2' tubing area, there isnt much to gain for all the efforts.

Jon

answering the question about the chipset block being used as a GPU cooler- i highly doubt it would work, plus the barb angles are not good for vid card cooling

Okaly Thanks for Help so Far.

thorilan: I have a generic case that cost me all of £15 quid, this always has been the downfall of my PC, i was planning to have HeaterCore Mounted Outside my Case.
Aphex_Tom_9: I totally fogot about the barbs, even though i have a one slot Gap between my Gcard and PCI0 on my mobo, but it still wouldn't be enough space.
lucas81: I've been looking at Danger Den, i always assumed that any discount in price would be offset by the shipping, but this is not the case. Thanks For the tip

MAZE4 GPU Block
MAZE4 Chipset Block
Danger Den - RBX Block
Double Heater Core Radiator with Shroud
ClearFlex60 Tubing 1/2 Inch ID x 6 foot
Barbed Polypropylene T, 1/2

$190.64
With VAT $224
In English £122.99
DangerDen Doesn't have any 240v pumps in at the moment, and there 12v is too noisy for my likings, so i'll have to get a pump from england somewhere

And a question about the Accelerator Nozzles on the RBX, is it worth the 3 dollars for them, i might as well i think.

Kaso said:
Okaly Thanks for Help so Far.

thorilan: I have a generic case that cost me all of £15 quid, this always has been the downfall of my PC, i was planning to have HeaterCore Mounted Outside my Case.
Aphex_Tom_9: I totally fogot about the barbs, even though i have a one slot Gap between my Gcard and PCI0 on my mobo, but it still wouldn't be enough space.
lucas81: I've been looking at Danger Den, i always assumed that any discount in price would be offset by the shipping, but this is not the case. Thanks For the tip

MAZE4 GPU Block
MAZE4 Chipset Block
Danger Den - RBX Block
Double Heater Core Radiator with Shroud
ClearFlex60 Tubing 1/2 Inch ID x 6 foot
Barbed Polypropylene T, 1/2

$190.64
With VAT $224
In English £122.99
DangerDen Doesn't have any 240v pumps in at the moment, and there 12v is too noisy for my likings, so i'll have to get a pump from england somewhere

And a question about the Accelerator Nozzles on the RBX, is it worth the 3 dollars for them, i might as well i think.

yes to the nozzles.

don't forget that duty/vat will be charged on the shipping too....
duty on the (goods+shipping), VAT on the (goods+shipping+duty)... and their shipper may charge a fee for clearing customs too... :(

http://www.dangerden.com/base_pages/legal.htm

What's the difference between vat and duty?
I only had to pay a tax on the goods and shipping, nothing else. They ship with FedEx, and the fee they charge for clearing is about 7 euro's.

Well, I only had to pay for the VAT then. The duty tarif for computer hardware and accesories was 0%. Because the UK is also a member of the EU, I assume you only have to pay VAT.

I would upgrade the pump to an Eheim 1250 or Danner Mag3. That Hydor is a little underpowered for a two block system imo, especially with that radiator and is not as reliable as well. Also change to metal hose clamps if possible.

And no the DD chipset block will not work on a graphics card. It may fit the holes but the bends the tubing will need to do will just add length and chances for kinks. If you want to w/c the radeon just get the maze4 radeon block.

wannaoc: Great thanks, pumps is one of the areas where i know nothing, i was basically just shooting in the dark. Yeh I'll have to buy the pump seperatly anyway because i need a 240v one not a 110v.

Hmm ok, this is all coming together, i'll sort things out tonight ready for my paycheck coming in on 25th

Back