• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ClearFlex Vs. Tygon 3603

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Despotes

What differences are there between these two if any(bend radius, stain resisting, discoloration, chemical resistence...)? Some sites advertise the Clearflex as being the same as Tygon tubing, but which model Tygon are they referring to?
Thanks-----

Tygon is more chemically resistant (..to products you are not supposed to put in yout cooling loop anyway). As for bend radius your mileage may vary. Personal and friends experiences tend to show that clearflex is slightly less resistant to kink over time. Tygon is slightly more "transparent" (clear). That's all.

tygon will still stain, even using distilled water, after the first 3 months or so of use mine went white/yellow filmy. simple green will get it out, just dont leave the simple green in for too long, or it will slightly stain the tubes too, and have fun getting the foam out of your system after, lol i just did that.

I have the Tygon 3603 tubing in my system now and it has a white film(stain?) inside the tubes. I used distilled water and Purple Ice.
After reading about the drawbacks of water wetting schtuff, I'm going to try something else. Maybe Swiftech's HydrX. Tell me this stuff isn't water wetter too. :-/ :temper:
I'll go with the ClearFlex, I guess, if there are no practical differences between the 2. Besides price of course.

Thanks for the input.

***When will Swifty's 6002A be available??!!***

I just found this info. from Koooler King:

"Don't use regular antifreeze (ethylene glycol based) ... it will degrade Clearflex PVC tubing in a few weeks. Clearflex is not the best stuff, but if you use propylene glycol based antifreeze (e.g. Sierra) it will last much longer (many months, maybe a year or more) with Clearflex PVC tubing. The life times I mentioned are relative, but I just researched same recently for my project based on chemical compatibility charts ... Also, with Clearflex, never use windshield washer fluid ... the methanol with attack it in days! To get better life with any liquid, go with Tygon R-3603 ... sure, it costs about 5x more, but lasts 5x longer ... ask yourself, "how much is your cpu worth"? Good luck on your project!"

Anybody care to comment on this?

Thanks-----

wierd, I've used about 5% regular antifreeze and 5% winshield washer fluid with the rest being distilled water... and I've had this setup for 2 years going strong. The clearflex looks fine, though a little murky from staining it looks like but I can still see through it.

yeah, and the stain is easy enough to remove. simple green, can get it almost anywhere. run it thru ur tubes until they're clean, like all of a few mins, rinse them thru to get it all out so it doesnt foam up, then use distilled and antifreeze. i've been warned away from hydr x as well, apparently it fades and doesnt do much, its basically antifreeze as well. sides, antifreeze comes in diff colours as well, and corrosion inhibits, cools better, and its cheaper and more available.
tygon is the way to go either way.

Back