• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to reverse flow direction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

IS there anyway i can make my mag 3 pump spin tho opposite direction so that water starts flowing the otherway?

that would amek it way eaisier for me to fit my setup in my case and have it be neat. also it would be really nice if there is a way to do this w/o removing the water out of my system since when I was putting together my sytstem agian with some changes I accidentaly reversed the in and out on my whitewater waterblock and I don't want to hafve to take the system apart again and buy new tubing

Well i'm not a W/c expert so take my advice with a pince of salt, but if its a DC pump it seems logical that Reversing the Polarity of the Pump Input should do it.

But it probly that the pump is designed to work in one direction, so prob don't do that

No. Synchronous A/C motors like the one in your pump do run both directions, the direction dependent on the phase of the A/C when you plug it in. But despite that, the natural of a centrifigal pump means the water only goes one direction.

If you need the In/Out in a diffferent orientatation, you can stand the pump on the end or remove the front cover and rotate it to a different position.

Centrifugal pumps that have spinning impellers cannot reverse flow, water enters the center and is flung to the outer edge of the impeller, no matter the spin direction.
AC pumps do in fact "choose" the direction they spin by the phase of the power line at the moment they are plugged in, and will spin in either direction, but the water will always flow outward on the impeller.
DC pump motors can be reversed, but flow direction won't change by much. They often have impellers designed for one direction of flow, but centrifugal force will again push the water outwards on the impeller. They'll simply pump quite poorly in the origional direction.

You can try re-orienting the pump in a different direction to change the direction that the output will point...no laws saying they have to sit flat on their bottoms. Danners work nicely for this because of 5 flat sides to choose from.

no i got my question answered thanks, I understand that I cannot no matter what I do change which is the inlet and the outlet

TheGreySpectre said:
no i got my question answered thanks, I understand that I cannot no matter what I do change which is the inlet and the outlet

Yeah, didn't mean to be redundant, they posted while I was writing...:D

I had the same problem in my cube case. I glued a piece of foam on the end of my Danner model2 so it would sit on it's end without the cord tipping it over, and it worked great. That put the outlet horizontal and the inlet vertical.

To add however, some of the newer DC's can't be reversed by polarity change because they have a motor similar to a fan.
There, even further redundency.

Last edited:
thanks for the foam idea I never thought of that and it would solve most of my problems even though I have it up and running right now

Cathar said:
Move the pump outlet hose to the pump inlet, and the pump inlet to the pump outlet.

Hmmm looks like a simple thing to do....

Back