• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External box failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuEagle05

OK, well I attempted to make an external box for my pump/rad/fans. Unfortunately it ended up being too small. Sure, they all fit in it ok, but the tubing had to bend way too much. To fit a T-connector between the pump and radiator outlet was too long of a connection to fit in. I'll show my pics anyway b/c I spent a good two weeks cutting, sanding, drilling, and painting.

I started off by cutting out 4 8x11" pieces, then 2 end pieces.
wood.jpg

Add some wood glue
clamp.jpg

Even added some sealant (not caulk, more the silicon you use around showers and stuff). I figured it i sprung a leak it would stay in the box.
sealed.jpg

Add some primer, a few coats of matte black paint, finalized with some clear coat, hinges, cam latches...
boxfront.jpg

The back side with the hole for the tubing...
boxback.jpg

And even lined the inside with melameline ceiling tile. The bottom was going to have vibration damping foam.
boxopen.jpg

Well, all that work, and everything is back inside. But i do have a TDX now :D
tdxsetup.jpg

lol got to luv that one discolored tube lol. but really that sux man next time make it bigger? lol duh but make sure to lay everything out on the bottom first to make sure its long enuff and so on ya know? and do the same for the other sides as well.

Yeah the one discolored tube. Good ol' water wetter stains. The other tubing is new. The water is out now. I had to wait until the hardware store was open to get the metal clamps for the WB. Right now I'm lazy, but one day i'll flip the WB around so the tubes aren't criss-crossed.

any chance of fixing the problem by hardtubing it? copper pipe might be able to make the turns you need but it is hard to say without seeing the components in the box.

This may be a stupid quaestion, but did you try repositioning your rad or pump? Like standing the rad on its head (pipes on the bottom) instead of upright or mounting your pump in an unconventional orientation. I was able to reduce my tubing length by over 12 inches just by flipping my to a new position.

The box looks really nice, it would be ashame not to use it.

yeah I tried that. I might try drilling a hole in the bottom and a hole in the top of my case, and have the pump outlet go down through the top of the comp. I'm hesitant b/c that limits where the box can go on top the computer. Yeah, i'll figure something out, i'd hate to waste all that effort.

I think you can do it with some 90s, but instead of using the plastic 90s that are like hitting a brick wall, get some sweeping copper elbows. Get the ones meant for 1/2" OD copper tubing and you can streach your 1/2"ID tubing over them, works great, I have used them in the past.

I think I got an idea, cince it looks like the radiator goes in the top hole, have it so the barbs face down(of course) right into the inlet or outlet of the pump, then have it shoot out or suck in the other side of the pump, then all you need is an elbow to to mak a strait bend out or into the other side of the radiator then stick a T in the line, maybe even drill a hole so you can have a fill cap outside the case. that could be nice.

3/8"npt threads with a cap and 1/2" hosebarb:

Jon

Attachments

• fillcap.jpg
    fillcap.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 87
Back