• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott With WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Hey all im new to WC'ing but here is my set up: DD Maze4, Hydor L30, BI Pro, and a Rez with 1/2 ID tubing and delta 86.5 CFM. The processor im using is the Prescott 2.8E, Now I just got this CPU on the 15th running stock speeds with the air cooling, and i was getting around 42-45 Idle temps and 54-59 Load temps with stock intel HSF. Now I got my WC set up all leak tested and ready to go and I straped this thing on and im now getting 49-52 Ildle temps and i have not tested load temps yet. I re-seated the Water Block like 10 times now, and removed and re-applied THermal Paste a couple times and got it to drop 2C's but other than that I can not get it to drop. What is everyone else getting stock speeds and running with WC? Thanks You can view my CPUZ info
Here I normally have 512 DDR but a module broke and only have 256 now and that is why i have not been load testing.

-Archer

Last edited:
a couplethings i would say could be: that rad isnt top of the line and you would get much better performance with a HC from a car. Next is do you have your rad shrouded? and if so you get better performance with 2 fans, push/pull. Next is that your water block is a little outdated and you get much better performance with a rbx/WW/tdx/swifty 6000 or 6002. Next is that those cpu's get damn hot. Whats your ambient temp like?if its hot there than your blowing warm air onto the rad. Watercooling also isnt the holy grail of cooling either, its better than air but not a crazy step up. Other than that there is no way that any WC setup should perform less than stock cooling.

Do you think i could return the BI Pro to cooltechnica? What kinda heater core do you recomend? Finally how much increse would you say there would be with a heater core vs a rad? I see the MCW6002 Seems to be a great block but how does it preform?

Last edited:
Archer36 said:
Do you think i could return the BI Pro to cooltechnica? What kinda heater core do you recomend? Finally how much increse would you say there would be with a heater core vs a rad? I see the MCW6002 Seems to be a great block but how does it preform?

im not sure if you can return that, im not a retailer:) For heatercore get the biggest one that will fit, get a single pass one if ya can. As far as performace increase noone can tell you that till you try it there are too many variables. The mcw6002 performs right up there with the top blocks atm maybe higher than some.

Yea, I was browsing the forums and i came to find a 77 bonneville that can house 2 120mm fans and its only 17.99. If they dont let me return the BI Pro what would happen if i used a HC and a Rad? As for the CPU Block that MCW6002 seems to be a great one and if I can return my old one or some way of seeling it I would buy the 6002.

the golden rule before spending cash on equipment is to research first buy after:) You could run both rads and get better performance than just one.

Yea I researched for 2-3 months before buying, but hey I never came here where I should have been rather than indivdual Sites.

As long as the Block is seated well leave it there.The actuall cooling will take place in the radiator and that will make more of a cooling difference then getting a newer water block.

A shroud is very important and the rad you found for 17.99 is the one I use in my system in my sig.

Have you had any other Rads before the HC. If so how much of a difference did you see between the two. Thanks

my guess is that the WB isn't mounted correctly. You mentioned you have a reservoir. in idle the heat amount from the cpu is relatively small, so the heating of the liquid is slow. even with your fans completely off you should get nicer temps. i run the setup listed in the signature. after installing WC idle tempreture at stock speed dropped from +2.5 (stock air cooling and CPU IHS removed) above ambient to 0 (zero). When loaded stock cooling gave +20 C above ambient. WC gave +4 above ambient. temps are according to reading from under the CPU diode.
you've got nice WC setup, temps should be lower.

does the tubing feel warm? does the rad feel warm?

If so, you need a bigger/better rad. Adding a dual 120mm heatercore dropped my temps about 5C from using a Black Ice Extreme, and this was just on an Athlon XP setup.

Back