• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Pumps in one loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackZ06

Registered
That 2X MCP600 thread got me seriously thinking about this. I haven't installed my watercooling stuff yet so it wouldnt be too much of a hassle to throw in another one. I was thniking of doing it this way

Pump>Y fitting>heatercore>TDX>Bay Reservoir>pumps
Pump>

Bascially have the pumps go into a Y fitting and merge into one and have that one through the rest of the way until it hits the reservoir where it'll seperate again into both pumps/

Would this be like having one super pump or would nothing really happen because of the Y?

Would it be better to keep it all in one line say Pump>HC>TDX>Pump>Res?

Parallel = 80% more flow (assuming free flow)

Series = 60% more head (measured pressure)

see the csx pumps on dtekcustoms for what i'm talking about

i've just recently set up a prescott system with what is two eheim 1046's running in a series and its some pretty good stuff, much higher flow that what i was otherwise getting

prescott, 3/8 tubing, twin lexus IS200/IS300 heatercores, toyota red antifreeze

dropped 30 degrees load off the temps vs the stock intel when oc'ed (3.92ghz, AI7, max vcore; 1.7v?)

was using a eheim 1048 and and the 1046's in the series is better stuff, slight rattle in one of the pumps and i don't know why

p.s. if you don't know what a lexus IS200 is, its alright because i live in sweden

fafnir said:
Parallel = 80% more flow (assuming free flow)

Series = 60% more head (measured pressure)

see the csx pumps on dtekcustoms for what i'm talking about
Wondering where you got those numbers fafnir... they seem quite wrong.

well if ur gonna use two tiny pumps from dtek (the CS watevers) might as well just get 1 mcp600 with the same performance as those two pumps..

I already have one MCC600. I was thinking anbout adding another one but will most likely just stick with the one. I think it was your post that got me intrigued about it though :)

yeah it was my post. if u do decide to go two pumps, make sure ur case is big enough. Now im thinkn about getting a bigger case cause its stupid cramped in there.

nikhsub1, not all pumps apparently; doesn't work with a screw pump, etc

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=140&HS=1

near the bottom of the page

csp750 = 2.7 psi
csp-x2 = 5.3 psi

i don't believe those numbers and i'm pretty sure you don't either, but i'm still trying pretty hard right now to get my dual eheim set-up to not rattle, so i don't yet have the *hard* evidence now to support what i've said, but i'm pretty sure i'll have it soon

the eheim in the series *is* giving me better flow, and from what the a crude estimate of the pump head when filling/bleeding the system, i'm getting just a bit over half more head, so i called it 60%

and one of the other things i've tried is a 1/2 y-adapter with two 3/8 inlets, and its also pretty good looking when looking at the free flow

I will have a second CSP-750 when Dtek gets there stock in . I would be happy to test them if you guys are interested , although I might need a few pointers on how to test the PSI.

hey, coolroyboy2, once you do, could you also test or see if your first pump rattles?

e.g. when attached in a series, does the first pump in the series *always* rattle?

thanks nikhsub1,

nikhsub1 said:
Yes head does theoretically double with 2 like pumps in SERIES. In PARALLEL the max flowrate would double but head would remail that of one pump.

nikhsub1 said:

though, i don't know why;

1. the first pump in my series rattles -->BAD<--, i think its getting worse, and if i swap pumps, its again, the first pump in the series, and i don't think it matters which pump it is, or a defective pump, just the first pump in the series

2. i also don't know why i'm not getting double head either, just a bit over half more water height for the head measurement

though, both them pumps are mounted sideways, am i not supposed to mount them pumps sideways facing each other?

I'll post here when I get it.
Also if the water is restricted in the loop or the water returning can not keep up with the demand of the 2 pumps pulling ,could that cause the rattle ?

fafnir said:
thanks nikhsub1,

1. the first pump in my series rattles -->BAD<--, i think its getting worse, and if i swap pumps, its again, the first pump in the series, and i don't think it matters which pump it is, or a defective pump, just the first pump in the series

2. i also don't know why i'm not getting double head either, just a bit over half more water height for the head measurement

though, both them pumps are mounted sideways, am i not supposed to mount them pumps sideways facing each other?

are there other components between the pumps? i seem to recall that 2 pumps one straight after the other can cause problems ...

Back