• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ice (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squeakygeek

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
ice1.jpg

ice2.jpg

ice3.jpg

Soon this will be on my cpu! One special note: That is the 8 wire EPS connector on my FSP550. It has 4 12v wires and 4 ground. The connector doesn't even get warm :) It's like it was made for a peltier! I cut up an 8 pin extension cable so I could unplug it like a regular device, and so I wouldn't have to modify the PSU itself. The psu powers my computer as well as the peltier.

edit: added 3rd pic

Last edited:
holy shyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. all i can say is WOWZERS! how much did it cost you? maybe you can tidy it up when your finished

Looks pretty nice. Can't go wrong with a big chunk of ice.

I see an evaproator/condensor there. you are just using that as a radiator right? not running chilled water through that thing are you?

I'm just using that big thing as a radiator. I posted the pics of the ice because they look cool, but I doubt my cpu will get below freezing. No, I'm not running chilled water, but during the winter I plan to put the radiator outside in the cold.

added a 3rd pic of the ice before I defrost.

wow thats some mean ice! I thought I had some mean ice when I stacked some peltiers:eek:

whats the temperature on the bottom of the cold plate? and how long did it take you to make all that ice? I can only asume you dipped it in your reservior?

Jon

I put my radaitor once outside i nthe cold at winter and the water froze isnide while i was on my pc playing games so the temps got really high lol.

Anyway How come the hoses arent frosted or having condensation? My hoses get like that when i have a couple bags of ice in bucket whe ni bench @ 2.6ghz

JFettig said:
wow thats some mean ice! I thought I had some mean ice when I stacked some peltiers:eek:

whats the temperature on the bottom of the cold plate? and how long did it take you to make all that ice? I can only asume you dipped it in your reservior?

Jon

I'm not sure what the temp of the coldplate is, but it doesn't really matter because it's going to be alot warmer when I have it on the cpu. This is about a day's worth of ice. It all came from the air. No dipping or anything.

Zork said:
What type of pump are you using, the pressure drop from that condensor/raddy has to be somewhat great?

Via Aqua Powerhead 4900

CandymanCan said:
Anyway How come the hoses arent frosted or having condensation? My hoses get like that when i have a couple bags of ice in bucket whe ni bench @ 2.6ghz

Because the hoses are actually quite warm.

matttheniceguy said:
let's not forget the all important "tidy cat" rasevoir. So Ghetto... I love it.

:D

CandymanCan said:
I put my radaitor once outside i nthe cold at winter and the water froze isnide while i was on my pc playing games so the temps got really high lol.

The hoses are carrying hot water from the hotside of the peltier... The only part of that system that is cold is the part with the ice (coldplate on coldside of the peltier)... The rest is VERY warm. ;)

They are the same thing. A condensor is just an air to liquid heat exchanger, just like a heatercore or radiator. It is just a pipe with fins on it, nothing fancy about it at all. You run your fluid through the condensor and it works just like a radiator, because they are essentially the same thing.

(a condensor is used to condense a gas to a liquid and then cool it, but the same parts and setup are used)

Poor cats, no kitty liter, TIDY CATS SCOOP, LOL, thats really extream, ur a true baller

Back