• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a dead dehumidifier...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
It seemed to get really hot and make a burning smell after a few minutes. Did it just get a leak and lose the refrigerant or what?

Would it make a decent water chiller? It seems to make quite a racket, and would dry up our basement pretty quick. I gotta ask if I can rip it all apart and see the compressor/condensor sizes, but in general does this sound like a leak?

my ac unit used to to that, would heat my house instead of cool and would get so hot u could see flys die when they land on it.
it turned out that the fan was dying and not putting enough air.
it would probably work for a computer.. how many amps is it?

I'm not sure, I opened it all up and there was so much dust. I'm going to geuss that's the problem. I can't see how any air was going through it.

I had ot hose it off, so I'll have to wait until it dries off to test it out.

Hmm...I just tested it out. Seems the big fan is dead, but the evap got nice and frosty.

I makes kind of a hissing noise, which makes me kinda nervous, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. Just makes me think LEAK. I'm not sure though.

Well, it seems to be doing fine aside from not getting enough airflow.

I'm gonna make a run to wal-mart today sometime for a fan and an ice chest.

I'm going to give it a shot, but I'm not sure if the compressor is enough. It's says it's a variable temp R22 Unit. I can't find anything fromt he serial number or model number though. All I know is it's R22, and it was made in Taiwan....

sandman001 said:
Hmm...I just tested it out. Seems the big fan is dead, but the evap got nice and frosty.

I makes kind of a hissing noise, which makes me kinda nervous, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. Just makes me think LEAK. I'm not sure though.

that could be normal.. when the cooled coils heatup, u usually hear a hissing/boiling sound. older units are a lot louder though, you can barly hear new units.

Alright cool, I talked to someone from XS and he said that it's just the gas expanding, so it's all fine.

sandman001 said:
Alright cool, I talked to someone from XS and he said that it's just the gas expanding, so it's all fine.
oh yea :D, gas expanding = hissing; gas compressing = boiling

I think this'll work fine, I'm not sure how well it's gonna handle a load, but I'll figure it out I geuss.

Does anyone know what kind of airflow is needed through the condensor? Heatload will be 200-250watts of heat.

Even on our 40 pint model, the blower pulls maybe, 30-40 cfm through it, I forgot to plug the fan in once (tsk tsk on me), and the condensor didn't get above the temp of say...80 F

Well, I went out last night and got a 9" desk fan to use for it. Gonna make a shroud and such for it today.

I'd say it blows maybe 200cfm? atleast 150 cfm anyway.

I'm using it as a waterchiller

because it doesn't have the right evap type for direct die

Have you tested it with just water yet? I know the one I am working on get's three inches of ice(plain water) around the evap after an hour. I don't have any temperature tests yet.

Back