• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Watercooling and College

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Two questions, is there a cheap watercooling system that is external, and portable. I want to use my watercooling setup in college, and I don't think I can fit it in my current case, and I don't want to get a new case, seeing this case is less than a month old.

I'm in a similar space situation. I am building my external setup this summer and will be bringing it to college. I decided that dorm rooms, being small, are limited mostly by horizontal floor space, but you rarely use all the vertical space. So I built my box to have a slightly larger footprint than my case (15" wide by 21.5" deep) with a height of 11.5" This way it will fit on a desk/table and simply go higher.

as for price, well, WCing is expensive, that's just how it is, but you can pry do a good one for around $200.

Right now I don't care about the price, I was looking at the Thermaltake Aquarius II, I don't care about how bad it is, I just want something that works, and is easyily maintained. And 239 doesn't seem that bad to me. I am not that mechanically inclined so building a setup is out of the question. I just want ultra quiet.

i would take koolance exos over the aquarius, better yet what about the corsair hydrocool?

your case is ideal for watercooling, you can put a rad in the 120mm spot in the back, and if you can get rid of the hard drive rack, you could also put one up front. the pump will fit nicely beneath your video card (unless you use many/all of your pci slots).

if you're going external, then build your own box out of wood or something and stick it under your case. that box could house the pump, rad, and fans easily. then just feed the tubes up through the back of your case.

just a thought

you have a kick *** air cooling setup. im sure quieting down some of your fans will give you much quieter performance, and your cooling ability will probably be the same as if you went with one of those external units. i really dont think you should rule out putting together your own components internally. unless you have hard drives coming out of your ears, and have packed in as many pci cards as possible, there is probably a lot of room inside.

edit: i see your tv tuner, sound card, and 2 hard drives. hmmm, the space under your video card is taken, but there must be room in there. i just dont think you'll be pleased with the performance of on of those external units, especially coming from an sp-97

I want portablility that is my concern, I am concerned if I do everything internally then the case will weigh a ton. I want to be able to really push this mobile i have sitting in front of me. How much on average would an interall setup weigh?

dicecca112 said:
I want portablility that is my concern, I am concerned if I do everything internally then the case will weigh a ton. I want to be able to really push this mobile i have sitting in front of me. How much on average would an interall setup weigh?

what are you, weak? at most u would ahve to carry the computer to the car, then from the car to the dorm room. if you plan to carry the thing everywhere, u really shouldnt even be lookn at watercooling. regardless if its custom or a premade kit, its gonna be heavy unless u buy some junk like an Aquarius, and etc. Decent performers like the koolance and Corsair will be heavy.

Back