• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When water "cooling" goes wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froz

1.jpg

My lovely work.

Korndog said:
as funny as that is, that yellow power cable scares me..

Little followup story to this. I came in on a Monday morning to "Don't bother going in there, the building isn't safe". Sure... I thought. After learning that the water was about 3 inches from the main power boxes and that the generator was under-water, I decided to follow the crowd and we emergency moved our servers (which thankfully are a level higher than that).

Long drawn out story and many flooding incidents later (last I heard we pumped near 750,000 gallons of water out this year. Although I must admit that early off they found that there was a break in the line which was causing teh outlet to feed into the natural spring back into the basement) : The sub-pump only works when it wants to. Reliability is so awful folks were saying it sabatoge. :rolleyes: We'll be putting a netcam and using the buddy sysetm for all future basement adventures.

The only thing that saved the building was a toilet located off the subbasement up about a step. Water overflowed into the toilet and caused it to constantly flush, draining the basement into the sewer. Toilet has since been named "Emergency Commode" and is checked to make sure it is never plugged. ;)

Froz said:
The only thing that saved the building was a toilet located off the subbasement up about a step. Water overflowed into the toilet and caused it to constantly flush, draining the basement into the sewer. Toilet has since been named "Emergency Commode" and is checked to make sure it is never plugged. ;)

lmao, thats the funniest thing i've heard today

so, uh, do monitors sink or float? i'd actually like to know... i mean, they have a CRT tube that wont fill with water, but then it has no air in it...so dies it still work for boyancey?

Como said:
so, uh, do monitors sink or float? i'd actually like to know... i mean, they have a CRT tube that wont fill with water, but then it has no air in it...so dies it still work for boyancey?

You'll be amazed to know that some monitors do indeed float. I was *speechless* (due to laughter). Seems like the lighter 15/17"s do float, but most don't.

Sorry though, my boss repeatedly commanded me to not test them out after they dried...

:clap:
HIlarious

dumb liabillity he is probably concercernd that you will kill your self and it will be his fault some how

"Emergency Comode"
:D :D :D :D :D

Actually, air has nothing to do with if an item will float, once an item displaces its weight in water, you have bouyancy. A gallon of water (.3cf) weighs around 7 pounds.

I had a scare when i was stuck in rental while house was being built, I had all my computer gear, well most of it, stuck in a garage, end game, lots of snow, idiot snow plower blocking drain into intra coastal, and rain, i was sweeping water out of garage, moving thing I valued higher and higher, waded hip deep in shorts into slush to break a way out for the water.. All machines in this story lived.

Back