• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why no GPU "block" with all these compressor systems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I have no experience with "extreme cooling" but I really admire the setups and retail packages. Is it possible/practical to have a compressor system that cools both cpu and gpu? I'm sure there are temperature considerations, but couldn't they have two "pipes"? Thanks!

Yea, it's very possible. It's called a dual evap system. A few people have them, but they aren't as popular. I'm not sure why.

sandman001 said:
Yea, it's very possible. It's called a dual evap system. A few people have them, but they aren't as popular. I'm not sure why.

$$$ and difficulty.

if you want to do it go ahead, it will keep it nice and cold.

It's really hard to make a system that has to evaporators. You need to control how much fluid goes where, and deal with a lot of tricky tuning problems. It is entirely possable to do it, but it is usually easier to just use a second complete phase change system. The performance would also take a huge hit if you tried to put two evaporators on one standard system. To run 2 evaprorators well, you would need a much bigger compressor and condensor.

Exactly what matttheniceguy said, it can be done, some what more advance, one can drive themselves crazy attempting to tune the metering devices(cap tube) on each of the two evaps. Check out xtremesystems.org forums if your really interested in seeing systems like you mention in real action.

lol, I saw some guy that put 3 in one system! He was cooling the cpu, gpu, and nb. He didn't actually make them though, he just used vapochills.

mine is a dual evap setup, it wasnt that hard to do. it was my first attempt at vapor phase-change and although there were times during construction i wanted to chuck it all in the trash, i kept after it and got it finished. i learned a lot from here, phase-change.com and xtrememsystem.org. the reason i did a dual was because they arent that common and i wouldnt have been happy with it until i did.

that's pretty impressive. how big of a compressor did you use? what refrigerent? What temps are you getting? how long did it take you to get the thing tuned? are you sick of questions yet?

i bought a 6000btu AC unit at Lowes for about $100, reworked it. i use r22, i did dump out the oil in the compressor and refill it with mineral oil. temps on the barrel of the CPU's evap is around -42 according to my ghetto compunurse probe and -28 CPU itself according to mbm5 i have no idea what the vid card temps i destroyed the probe, oooops. under load both evap and cpu temp raise about 2 to 3c. my cap lines are: cpu, 6' gpu, 9' of .026. gary was right on the money on cap tube length :D blocks are both Bakers.

sneakyfart said:
i bought a 6000btu AC unit at Lowes for about $100, reworked it. i use r22, i did dump out the oil in the compressor and refill it with mineral oil. temps on the barrel of the CPU's evap is around -42 according to my ghetto compunurse probe and -28 CPU itself according to mbm5 i have no idea what the vid card temps i destroyed the probe, oooops. under load both evap and cpu temp raise about 2 to 3c. my cap lines are: cpu, 6' gpu, 9' of .026. gary was right on the money on cap tube length :D blocks are both Bakers.
do you have pic of CPU/GPU blocks

lclark2074 said:
do you have pic of CPU/GPU blocks

you mean pics of the blocks before or after brasing? no. this is what they look like now insulated and doing their job

Attachments

• evaps1.JPG
    evaps1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 245
there is a filter/dryer. its on the high side where it belongs. i think youre referring to the accumulator which is on the suction or low side. heres a pic with the cover off

Attachments

• caseoff.JPG
    caseoff.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 208
yah its totally possible and used by the hardcore guys, I mean like bowman or macci e.t.c. that build there own phase change units , or triple cascade setups, I dont think itll make its way to consumer level for a while, since people are still reluctant to accept mach and vapochill systems still.

Exempt said:
yah its totally possible and used by the hardcore guys, I mean like bowman or macci e.t.c. that build there own phase change units , or triple cascade setups, I dont think itll make its way to consumer level for a while, since people are still reluctant to accept mach and vapochill systems still.
this is a little off: but do you have link too bowman sight

I put my GPU on a waterchiller and had MASSIVE condensation problems. This issue was, that despite all the insulation, the actuall leads on the agp interface were starting to condense- leaving puddles in the agp slot.
It eventually killed the card.

Back