• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What tubing from McMaster-Carr?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mumrah

So obviously Tygon has been deemed "best tubing". But at nearly $4 per foot, not worth it in my book. I was browsing though McMaster-Carr's catalouge and found some tubes that seemed to fit our purposes well.

Page 82 - Beverage and Food Braid-Reinforced PVC Tubing
ID 1/2" OD 13/16" Bend Radius 3 1/2" Max PSI 250
$0.75/foot

Page 87 - Blended PVC/Polyurethane Tubing
ID 1/2" OD 5/8" Bend Radius 3" Max PSI 40
$0.71/foot

I'm leaning towards the braided stuff, but the pvc/poly blend is appealing (except for the max psi).

Input anyone?
-David

The braided stuff is just ugly IMO... the PVC is OK, except you need to see how soft or hard it is, and, I would go with 1/8" walls.... so 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD.

is masterkleer the stuff that you can get from Homedepot? If so, then i have some and it sucks teh major butt.

Giblet Plus! said:
I prefer the chemical pvc tubing from mcmastercarr on page #85. It is really clearflex 60, it says so right on the tubing.

Yup, that's what I got. It's really cheap at $.65 a foot. Water cooling places usually sell it around $1.50 a foot. :rolleyes: Here is a link to the Clearflex at MC Master. I got the 1/2 id, 3/4 od version.

No! the Masterkleer stuff is NOT the PVC tubing you get at Home Depot.
Check out the specs on the tubing. I believe its on the first page of tubing.
Trust me you won't be dissapointed!

ZachM said:
Yup, that's what I got. It's really cheap at $.65 a foot. Water cooling places usually sell it around $1.50 a foot. :rolleyes: Here is a link to the Clearflex at MC Master. I got the 1/2 id, 3/4 od version.

thats the link to tygon at mcmaster, lol.

well, the tygon is on the right side and the clearflex is on the left side...

speaking of clearflex, I heard that it isn't recommended to put a certain type of antifreeze in it because it will eat through the tubing. is this true? I got some of that vw blue antifreeze that I want to use as an additive.

should 10' be enough for a dual cpu setup? or should i get 25' just to be safe?

well i ordered the clearflex and im going to use the blue antifreeze. hopefully it wont eat through it.

why not try the Masterkleer? did you look at the bend radius? 1 3/4" compared to
3 3/4" for Clearflex. The tubing is cheaper, less prone to kinks and super clear. I've had no probs whatsoever with it running 6 mos with 10% antifreeze...and with no clamps using PushOn brass barbs...

VballCoach said:
why not try the Masterkleer? did you look at the bend radius? 1 3/4" compared to
3 3/4" for Clearflex. The tubing is cheaper, less prone to kinks and super clear. I've had no probs whatsoever with it running 6 mos with 10% antifreeze...and with no clamps using PushOn brass barbs...

I've used both Masterkleer and Clearflex 60 from McMaster. To be honest there isn't much difference. The color on the Clearflex has somewhat of a blue hue to it, and the masterkleer has more of a yellow. The masterkleer also feels a bit softer. In real world application the bend radius is almost identical with the clearflex retaining its shape slightly better at tight bend radii. So, I personally prefer the clearflex.

Back