• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump interfering with monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizuno

Registered
I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed. I tried searching for a solution to my problem but the search function appears to not work on my machine leaving me forced to create a new topic.

I am in the process of assembling a water cooled system, utilizing a Via Aqua 1300 pump. My original plan was to include the pump, rad and res in a seperate box placed on top of or right below my computer, with the tubes for the waterblock leading down to the back of the computer. The problem that I am having is that due to space constraints in my room, my computer is forced to be right next to my monitor, an expensive 22" Mitsubishi tube, and the close proximity of the monitor to the pump is making the picture go spastic. I was leak-testing the cooler on the floor, 2 feet directly below the monitor, and there is still slight flickering of the display, but placing the box with the pump anywhere close to where I was planing on placing it makes it within one foot of the monitor and makes the screen shake and flicker horribly, and makes the colors shift. I am worried that placing the pump where I want it to be will destroy my monitor in a short amount of time. On the other hand, if I leave the box on the floor then my head pressure will be killed by the lenght of the hoses, and the rad will get quickly clogged with dust and cat fur, in two days running for the leak test it collected an amazing amount of gunk. The only solution I can think of is to somehow get some sort of sheilding for the pump. I looked online, and there is magnetic sheilding for speakers used in home theatre, but it is expensive. I have tried experimenting with placing steel sheets between the pump and the monitor, and this has no effect. I am all out of ideas for what to do, and was hoping that if anyone here has experienced this problem before that they would tell me what they did to solve it. Thanks in advance.

I wrapped mine in copper flashing. Works great.
Just make sure it's grounded to be fully effective, wether by touching the case, or by an attached wire.

You can also make sure the cord is plugged into a seperate socket from the monitor's cord. Sometimes interference feeds back through the ground, but in your case with moving it around, it sounds like it's coming directly off the pump.

ciao

uthungover said:
See if you can find mu metal (assuming the interferece is magnetic).
Isn't that a little overkill?

BTW, Mu metal is what they use in HDD's. It "absorbs" magnetic radiation VERY well.

Why would it be overkill? I did not know it was used in hard drives. I know it's used in charged paticle spectrometers to sheild the earths field.

This was the best link I could come up with http://digilander.libero.it/paeng/what_mu_metal.htm

But mu metal is able to "absorb/shield" and IMENSE amount of magnetic radiation, much more so than what he should need to stop the interference.

Anyway, I didn't know is was used for shielding "charged particle spectrometers". That's cool. Too bad I don't know what they do. Time to do some googling ;) Cool. Just got back from my google search. All i can say is "that equipment must cost alot. wonder if it can be oc'd? ;)"

Back