• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Aquarius II question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crono311

well, i already bought this thing. it was 90 bucks, and i felt like just getting a starter kit for water cooling...its not too bad, better than my previous cooling solution..

sooo...is there any way to make this system cool my cpu better? i know the pump isnt too great, and that the radiator is less than desirable...but it was a start.

so what part should i replace first and what should i replace it with? i will appreciate all suggestions. (as if that meant anything to anyone, but it may...gratitude is always good)

look on the front page of OC.com...

a day or so ago, there was an article on the 'bottleneck' parts in watercooling. the radiator can make the most difference. after that, the pump/waterblock combo (different wb's need diff strength pumps to be effective).

the bigger tha radiator (a really big heatercore is the BEST solution, inexpensive, and better than almost all *watercooling* radiators) the better the temps.

after you have the best radiator for your situation, look at your waterblock/pump setup. do you have a waterblock with small channells, i.e. one that needs a high flow rate to perform at its peak? if so, then get a big ole' danner mag 28947362387 pump, and let 'er rip. if you have a lo-flow pump, then get a simple maze waterblock, or make your own (mine is better than many commercial solutions, and i use a wusy pump).

anyway, read the article.

hmm...

i really cant find that article, mind posting a link?

and alright...would be hard to get a larger radiator for my comp, but i guess it isnt impossible...

I am using a TT Aquarius system on my PC.
It has been somewhat modified ( mostly the pump).

The main improvement you can make is to replace the waterblock.
I chose a Zalman waterblock and it has been a major upgrade.
You can kinda see it here...
mini-SPKTH2O.jpg

The pump is enclosed in the grey box ( that's a PVC electrical box available from Home Depot...$6.00).
I chopped the top off the TT pump and it now sits immersed in the coolant, the box acts as the reservoir.
I have twin 92mm fans blowing through the radiator ( custom made bracket mounts the rad to the back of the case and acts as a shroud).

The Aquarius can be made to work very well, you just have to tweak it a bit.
You will no doubt see many responses informing you of what a hideous choice you have made...pay them no mind.
Here are some temps from last week, they are typical of my early morning/late night performance ( as the day heats up so does the case obviously, but even in the heat of afternoon my idle temp is around 30-34c).
Gateway_temps.jpg

Last edited:
hmm...looks promising...so the waterblock/pump combo should be my first move, eh? alright...thanks a lot.

Just the waterblock...the stock pump is fine.
The real turning point in the system is the radiator.
It's cute as a button and solid copper, but only has 1/4" fittings.
I got the Zalman waterblock because it comes with fittings for 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" tube...very upgradeable.
That block, with the TT radiator & pump, has proven to be just fine for me.

A bigger, more efficient pump would be wasted if restricted to 1/4" i.d. tubing.
The only reason that I started to fool around with the pump anyway was the rattling noise that the activity balls make.
They drove me nuts.

I never used that silly "modified shampoo bottle" reservoir that TT included.
It was just too cheezy to even consider.

how much of a difference did your new waterblock make with the rest of the system?

Dropped systemps about 10C.
Not bad for $50 and it looks way better, too.

I know that shouldn't matter, but I'm only human.

so, the Zalman Waterblock it is. i dont need extreme cooling, i just need enough to keep my CPU in the 30s is all.

For 90% of the PC's in existence, 30c IS extreme cooling. :p

My mother's eMachine has never seen the southern side of 50c.

Back