• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bubbles... Can they be harmful

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ble81

Yesterday I had a chance to take apart my computer w/c system.
I did this to basically make sure everything was running ok and also
to top off my res. I took the Heater core out and turned the fan around
so that instead of blowing the air through it I am now pulling air thru it.
This was based on being able to just clean it off with the dust buster when I
see a build up of dust and dirt from the room. And I had also read online that it was better to pull air thru it rather than blow air through it. So I made the switch.
I hooked it up and I could hear air bubbles flowing through it so I let it set for an hour or so before starting the computer. I then tried the computer and even though I could still hear an occasional bubble I thought no harm can be done. My temps are a little higher than when I was running it before.
So my question Can bubbles be harmful in a W/C system??

Bri

They aren't really physically harmful but they can be annoying. They probably will raise temps like you said and/or noise. You should bleed it to get them out.

Oh, if the bubbles are in the pump for a long time, then it could possibly cause damage.

bubbles can be very bad. it can be a sign of a leak somewhere. air or bubbles trapped anywhere other than a t-line or res is can cause damage to the pump and can effect your temps if trapped in rad or a block.

Bubbles, Bubbles, Bubbles

ok it's been a couple of days since I was here to read this thread... Sorry.
Thinking about the remarks i guess ahead of time I decided to leave my computer down for the evening and all night for that matter as well. I ran the w/c system this whole time to bleed the air out of it. I am guessing that it worked out for me because I have returned to a silent w/c system and lower temps.
To give a little more info I had taken out the heater core and emptied it so that I could change over the fan and when I put it back together I didn't think to make sure all the bubbles were out of the H/C. Maybe this is what caused it.
Any insights are welcome
Brian

almost for sure that is what have happened. i also have my rad at the top. it took several minutes to basic bleeding. It took something like 15 operaion hours of the system to bleed it (without me doing anything. could fasten the proces)

Back