• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mag 3 VS. Swiftech MCP600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Despotes

I'm looking to purchase a reliable and fairly quiet pump for a 1/2" ID system using a Swiftech MCW6002A, some type of res, one D-Tek Pro 120 or possibly the DD double heater core.
I know the Mag 3 has higher flow and head, but just how does it perform in a somewhat restrictive set up (WB)? Will it add more heat to the system than the MCP600 will? Will the Swifty outperform due to it's high restriction design advantages...? Will the Mag 3 be noisy?

Thanks--------

they preformance is pretty close, u can't really say one is better then the other..
mag 3 puts out a little more heat, but IMO its insignificiant and should even show .01c difference in temps. the mag 3 isn't noisy, but does vibrate a bit. a little cushining will take care of that. The mcp600 is more expensive then the mag 3, but when u add the cost of fittings and a relay switch, it might come out the same.
Either way, u can't lose, they are both really relaible pumps.

my mag3 came out to about 46$ for everything. yea it does vibrate, i screwed the bass down with rubber washers and they absorb a bit. i love the way they made the mag 3, you can unscrew it and easily change the outlet in any direction other than it pointing upward. your also able to position the base in any direction. i never seen the swiftech but if it cant do that, i would prefer the mag 3. (depending on your setup)

I've been doing some reading at Procooling and it seems that the DD 12volt pump (same as Laing D4) is a better performer see graph than the MCP600, but not as quiet. :bang head

Despotes said:
I've been doing some reading at Procooling and it seems that the DD 12volt pump (same as Laing D4) is a better performer see graph than the MCP600, but not as quiet. :bang head

yep its pretty loud.. some people have overvolted it to 16 volt, and it gets really loud. Brushless pumps like mcp600 and d4 will have more mechanical noise then regular aquarium pumps. you can deal better with vibrations then noise..

I've replaced the MAg 3 with the D4 and included the Iwaki MD15-R.
According to the graph the D4 outperforms the Iwaki. Wish it was AC not DC though. At least the Iwaki is AC. All I need is more drain on my power supply.
Decisions...

I have been test running my mag 3 I bought from MarineDepot for the last 3 days. (I was busy doing other things so I just let it run; making sure to get any air etc.)

It died today. No extra heat, no weird sounds, just quit. I added a couple of drops of anti-algae solution from my pool kit this morning. It first clouded then cleared up.
About 30 min (?) later I walked by and noticed it was foaming in the T-line pretty bad.
There was a small amount of air in the line (heater core), but the pump definitely was primed from the beginning to the end. I find it hard to believe that it was a failure due to any miniscule air bubbles trapped somewhere.
So I guess since I am passed the point of return on the watercooling adventure, I'm now looking at pumps - again. My next pump will probably be something different.

Off topic but -

I also noticed that after install;

With clearflex 60 1/2"id tubing & black "DD type" plastic hose clamps (where applicable)
black 1/2" nylon fittings - without clamps - near impossible to remove hose. I think you would break a fitting before the hose would come off these barbs...
black 5/8" nylon fittings on pump - without clamps - near impossible to install, will probably have to cut all the hoses off any nylon fittings...
Brass 1/2" DD barbs included on my Maze 4 GPU, easy to install, w/ clamps snug.
Chrome barbs on RBX (requested brass :confused: ) easy to install, easy to remove. With clamps, snug but a good tug they can turn.
**Hoses heated by pump only after 24+ hours**
Brass barbs easy to remove hose unless clamps are _tight_.
Chrome barbs are either leaking or have moisture forming past all the clamps. *granted, the clamps weren't extremely tight at that point
I would say imo, even after tightening the plastic clamps w/ pliers you could pull a hose off the chrome barbs if you wanted w/o too much effort.
The nylon fittings? Forget it. I know I will be cutting them off.

Despotes said:
I'm looking to purchase a reliable and fairly quiet pump for a 1/2" ID system using a Swiftech MCW6002A, some type of res, one D-Tek Pro 120 or possibly the DD double heater core.
I know the Mag 3 has higher flow and head, but just how does it perform in a somewhat restrictive set up (WB)? Will it add more heat to the system than the MCP600 will? Will the Swifty outperform due to it's high restriction design advantages...? Will the Mag 3 be noisy?

Thanks--------

Excuse me... but where did you manage to find the MCW6002A.. I've been looking for it all over!

metasparks said:
Excuse me... but where did you manage to find the MCW6002A.. I've been looking for it all over!

You haven't found it yet?? It's available at...just kidding! :p lol I'm still waiting for it too. I'm upgrading my current water cooling system with the new case I got.
I'm now thinking of using a '77 Bonneville core (top) along with a D-Tek Pro 120(bottom front). Too much??
I picked up the '77 core today and the clerk asked what it's going in. I said my computer. His facial expression was :eh?: hehe.
With the 2 cores I'm debating on using an Iwaki MD-20R, unless using the D-Tek 120 with the dual falls under the diminishing returns law, then I'll stick with (maybe) the MD15-R.

------

I just bought an Iwaki MD-20R for $72 + shipping! It's "Brand New", "Never Installed". :D It's kinda big, but that's what modding is for!

Back