• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attn: diggerididggigirrrr rgrrriodsoirfh (vortex)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Syndicate

a few years ago you sent me the size and positioning of the inlet and outlet for the vortex do you still have that saved by chance? i tried to make it a while ago but my swirl just didnt go down far enough unfortunately. :attn:

Vortex.jpg

This one?
It's 12 1/2" overall, 3" OD, and the divider is ~1 1/4" from the bottom.

I think a slightly smaller hole will get the vortex lower, as the water velocity through the hole would increase.

Diggrr did you actually build a res like the picture you posted? If so do you have pictures of it in action showing the vortex?

Yes, I did build it. The pic shows some antifreeze dye stuck on the glue (last time I use that stuff), but other than that it was fine. Super cool looking with blue neons behind it in my YY cube case.
That's a phone built into the front, and an IR window below it for my tuner card remote. The blue is an air intake filter made from an old speaker grille.

Reservior.JPG

That's awesome looking. I've been wanting to build a res like that for some time now but have been putting it off due to other things in life taking up my time and money. Hopefully soon though I'll actually get around to building one.

Diggrr said:
Vortex.jpg

This one?
It's 12 1/2" overall, 3" OD, and the divider is ~1 1/4" from the bottom.

I think a slightly smaller hole will get the vortex lower, as the water velocity through the hole would increase.

ya thats it , thanks man .. unfortunately at the time only acryl tubing i could find was from pet stores ( gravel cleaners ) but this time im getting a nice piece from us plastics ..

Guderian said:
not being a fluid dynamics man... what would the ratios need to be to make one of these thats 4-6 inches tall? or half the radius?

I'm not either, so I'm not sure.
I wouldn't make it too short though, or your pump would suck alot of air into it, and bubbles aren't what you want in your cooling system.
That plate in the bottom helped that alot though, the bubbles that did make it past the plate spun around just above the outlet to the pump until they were big enough to find their way back up the center hole.
Maybe a small hole at the plate's outside edge would assist the air returning upward....I'd thought too that maybe a baffle would stop the water below the plate from spinning, and help it "burp" better too.

Dunno, hafta play with it. It just happened to work perfect for me the first try. The next one's gonna be larger, but the pump is much larger too, so we'll see.

Back