• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where to place Res?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueMan

I'm putting my system together this weekend, and I can't decide where to mount my res. I'm cool with modding my case to wazoo, and have just cut a 120mm hole in the top back for a fan. Now - the fan is between the PSU and the back of the top 5.25" device, and it is against the side, so there is room next to it for the res (a criticool powerplant) to be mounted. But I can't decide if I want the res inside the case. It seems people have complained most about Res's breaking more than any other componant. The other options I'm considering are in the same orientation but on TOP of the case with the barbs sticking inside. Or I could mount it on the back somehow.

What do you guys think? does the res in the case pose a serious threat/risk? All opinions appreciated.

depending on what tpe of res you have, you have to try to have it as high in the loop as possible. for example if your cpu block is the highest, air may be trapped in it and so forth.

Yes, that is true. all of the positions I mentioned have the res as the highest point. I'm just curious what people think of the risk of having a res inside the case.

Here's mine:

case01.jpg

It just depends on how you want to route your tubes.

but w/out an air trap don't you have a horrid time of bleeding your system? If the Res is the highest point in the loop it expediates the bleedin process.

BlueMan said:
but w/out an air trap don't you have a horrid time of bleeding your system? If the Res is the highest point in the loop it expediates the bleedin process.

Uh, no. I have no bubble problems and you don't need an air trap. All of my bubbles rise to the top in the first couple of passes.

i use a cd bay res for my cpu loop and a floppy res for my gpu. they are both at the top of their own loop and are both inside my case

in the case of T-line it's important to plase it at high level. if case of reservoir its place does not really effects the bleeding. just design the res so air boubles coming it to it through inlet won't get to it outlet. my res is placed on the floor of the case, the lowest point in the system and bleeding takes about several minutes.

Back