• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

plumming goop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkDraco

i have eliminated all my leaks except for 2. the O ring on my mag 3 and my outlet barb on my hydor L20. i want to get some sealant glue (not the tape) from home depot cuz its right around the corner. dont want to travel to petsmart for aquarium sealant cuz its rather far away. anyone know the name of any sealants they might sell?

plumbers goop or marine goop are 2 good ones i think. but be sure to let them dry completely. i left my system running, and then discovered my whitewater was nearly completely clogged with glue chunks

yep, plumbers gook is the best.
but lets just say its permenant.. i put it around some tubing that was leaking a long time ago, couldn't take it off at all, an knife coulding cut it. ended up cutting off the tubing and getting a new fitting, lol
but ofcourse that means no leak, duh

couple questions:

1)does it work on wet surfaces?
2)do i put it on the threads?

this is the last mod im doing to this computer. if i do anything new, it will be a completly new computer. so basically i want this comp to be permanant

DarkDraco said:
i have eliminated all my leaks except for 2. the O ring on my mag 3 and my outlet barb on my hydor L20. i want to get some sealant glue (not the tape) from home depot cuz its right around the corner. dont want to travel to petsmart for aquarium sealant cuz its rather far away. anyone know the name of any sealants they might sell?

Just wondering....Whats wrong with clamps? There not permenant, but they should work.

DarkDraco said:
couple questions:

this is the last mod im doing to this computer. if i do anything new, it will be a completly new computer. so basically i want this comp to be permanant

1) you can (almost certain)
2) you can put it wherever the leak is coming from. before you put it there, however, i would try 1 or 2 (maybe even 3) layers of teflon tape since its not permanent and will seal up the leaks pretty well.

SwampThing said:
It really is called goop.
yup
http://www.yourzagi.com/images/goop.jpg

Last edited:
tried tape already. went from 2 layers to 15 layers, for some odd reason it still leaks. dont ask why.

DarkDraco said:
1)Clean dry surface. Otherwise it won't stick.
2)Yes, it you plan to never unscrew. On some things, goop can be peeled off; on most it's permanent.

is it a metal barb? is it the right type of barb (i think theres one type that is tapered, and one that is straight)?

its a plastic barb. the original barb was straigh but with my box, i can only fit an L shaped one. had to go buy it. couldnt find it in brass

sorry, i meant to say that on some barbs, the threads taper down and get smaller

Tapered vs Parallel Threads.
If you look at male NPT threads, you will notice the diameter of the fitting is tapered, narrowest at the end. Parallel threads do not have a taper. The most important thing to understand is that tapered threads form a seal differently than parallel threads. Fittings with tapered threads seal on the threads. Use teflon tape on these type of threads to help make a good seal. On the other hand, parallel threads can either seal against a gasket or oring--do not use teflon tape--or on the threads--use Teflon tape if you want to seal on the threads.

so you need to have an NPT tapered barb to seal properly with the mag 3 fittings.

also heres a goop link http://www.eclecticproducts.com/goop/adhesives.asp and i was wrong about using it on wet stuff. thats probably why mine didnt work quite right.

edit: hahaha, i will never stop replying!

edit edit: alright, that is all for now. i am really going to sleep now :)

came back from home depot and bought something random. found a bunch of paste. i picked one called "real-tuff" teflon paste thread sealant.
it has a built in brush on the cap. i open it and its a thick paste with little sandlike chunks in it. anyone know if this stuff is any good?

got some "Oatay plumber's putty"
also says doesnt harden but this stuff is rather thick. says will not crack, separate, harden, crumble or shrink. seems safe. gonna try it out.

all i can say is this stuff is the bomb!!!seals about anything! sealed my barbs and mag3 and no leaks yet

Back