• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water cooling - Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2FastFX

Registered
I have been reading the posts in this forum for a few days now and I haven't learned enough to go and buy a system without feeling like I was being a bit hasty. It's a bit overwhelming. I would really like to go water cooled, and the best way to learn is just do it I guess. But I need help.

I read the Sticky on using the heater core out of a car and that looks like a lot of fun since I love tinkering and building things. But what other components should I get? Money isn't really a problem as long as it doesn't get too crazy. I'd like to cool everything I can with water blocks and build a seperate case to house the components and make a cool hose routing system to feed the lines in through the top or side of the case.

What's the best block for CPU, video card, etc? What's the best pump? Is the car heater core idea better than any radiators I can buy from a water cooling manufacturer?

Please help me choose the components to cool the system in my sig. Also, if you have links to where I can get the components that would be awesome.
Thanks!

I myslef am just starting WC'ing (orderd all the parts should have it set up this week :) ) and found a lot of people will recommend the chevette heater core, however ive spent at least a week if not longer trying to track one down without luck :( so word of warning if your going to be looking for that :p

as for the rest of the system i orderd a d-tek white water block for my cpu a danger den maze 4 for my 9800 and a swiftech mcp600, building my own res :)

Have you checked local auto parts stores? You don't see too many in the junk yards around here anymore. I have a 92 Mustang parts car outside that has a good core in it, but I am unsure of the way it's put together. I am going to pull it this weekend to see if it may be useful.

cpu block is the cascade =) but you cant get one of those for a while. seems the whitewater is still on top, the new swiftech 6002 or w/e its called seems to be very near the WW performance wise.

as for a radiator/heater core, the chevette cores are only good in small case and can easily be outperformed by a 89 caprice core with a proper shroud and fans (can put up to 4x 120 mm fans on it). people chose the chevette cores mainly cuz of the size, the caprice core needs a rather large case or an external setup.

pump wise - mag3 is great, i ahve one and love it. the swiftech is said to perform the same. the danner mag3 also does vibrate alot, so if you plan on getting one, use cusioning such as rubberwasher or something.

T-line or Res? well there ahve been many discussions, and its basically up to you in what you want to use. a T-line is basically free, all you need are T fittings and a little extra tubing. a Res can either be purchased for about 20$ or can be made by tubbaware or any object that can hold water. i use the cd bay res. fits nicely into the cd drive, if u need to fill it wiht water, just pull it out and add water.

hmmmm...

as for graphic card blocks, i havnt done much research on them but the maze4 is what i use and i like it. seen other threads where people recommend it.

i might of missed something here and there but thats basically it

woa, i missed a big detail on the CPU blocks. DTeks whitewater has 1 inlet fitting and 2 outlet. the swiftech mc6002 has only 1 in and 1 out. if you plan on only cooling the cpu or the cpu and gpu i would say go with the swiftech. but if you also plan on cooling your northbridge use the whitewater. you could have the main tube push water into the block and have 1 of theoutlet fittings go to the GPU and the other inot the northbridge.

I've been trying to find info on what a T-line actually does, and what the setup of one consists of. Can you clarify? I will probably use a resevoir, but I really don't know anything about the T-lines to know if I would rather go that route. I guess I want the PC to be portable for LAN parties, but since I have cable internet and three gaming systems setup in my den LAN parties are pretty much a given to be here.

I would also like to get some sort of regulator in the system to adjust coolant flow to tweak it and see if that makes a difference. I could setup a return line to the resevior and put the regulator on that line. Opening it would decrease flow to the blocks in other words.

As far as space, I can use any size radiator. Is that Caprice rad usually available at AutoZone? And do you have any recommendations for quiet 120mm fans? I usually use Thermaltake or Cooler Master fans, but I've not really compared any others.

Thanks!

here is a diagram i drew. attached.

basically air gets trapped in the extra tubing. you also use this tube for bleeding.

Attachments

• tline.GIF
    tline.GIF
    6.7 KB · Views: 72
as for autozone and any other autopart store, they usuaully dont have any of the items in stock. they will place an order for nextday shipping.

as for fans, the 120mm delta fans are nice. i use 3 of them myself.

remark about connecting the outlets of WW to different routs - in WW installation amnual said that both outlets should be connected to Y fittings, not only this, but the length of tubing on both branches should be the same. if i understand it right such a connection gives optimal performance of WW. Unbalanced connection of outlets will force more flow to one of the branches.

I was wondering about that actually. Maybe adding a regulator on each line would be better? Because the coolant is going to follow the path of least resistance. Or I could use small pumps and have one on each line after it leaves the CPU block. I'm actually not going to be overclocking my vid card anyway. It was a tad too pricey :D

On the T-lines, what is at the end of the T-line (above the air bubbles)?

Back