• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

realms

Registered
I'm not new to overclocking, however i am new to doing it on an intel platform and with watercooling. I used to have this heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-012&depa=0 (SP-94) with a tornado fan mounted ontop of it. My temperatures used to be about 38 degrees on my p4 2.8ghz in bios and i never paid attention to them in windows. I recently upgraded to watercooling for the first time and i'm looking at idle temperatures right now at 43 degrees on motherboard monitor 5, for watercooling on a pentium 4 does this seem right? Im guessing it might be the thermal paste application, i usually put it on really thick but a friend advised me not to this time and i listened.

Last edited:
Also under full load the max the temp has gotten (with mbm5 heatup tool) is about 46 degrees.

well never mind, i went up to 53 C after almost an hr at 100% constant load, damnit.

That doesn't seem right, watercooling is supposed to run cooler than aircooling. Maybe you didn't secure it completely, check the thermal paste, maybe you didn't do enough, although you really don't need much more than a super-thin coating if you do it right.

Try to reapply the waterblock again. I have never done watercooling but not long ago I had to reinstall my heatsink and my temps dropped from 58C to 47C on load. 58C was pretty scary.

galador said:
Try to reapply the waterblock again. I have never done watercooling but not long ago I had to reinstall my heatsink and my temps dropped from 58C to 47C on load. 58C was pretty scary.

Yeah i just ordered some more arctic silver and a fan controller, im thinking thats the problem at least i hope it is :(. thnx for the input.

just curious, what kinda watercooling setup are u running? What waterblock,rad,pump. what fan(s), at what speed? Is it a kit or did u put it together yourself? Apart from the coating of thermal paste, u could try reseating the block and tighten it down harder. The really good thing about P4´s are that there´s not danger of a crushed core:) One could basicly tighten untill the mobo starts to bend :)

Sssnake said:
just curious, what kinda watercooling setup are u running? What waterblock,rad,pump. what fan(s), at what speed? Is it a kit or did u put it together yourself? Apart from the coating of thermal paste, u could try reseating the block and tighten it down harder. The really good thing about P4´s are that there´s not danger of a crushed core:) One could basicly tighten untill the mobo starts to bend :)

It's a swiftech blue water block, i dont remember the rest of the components but my friend paid $300 or so about 6months ago for it he said.

kiyoshilionz said:
That doesn't seem right, watercooling is supposed to run cooler than aircooling.

Not necessarily.
Nor is it quieter.

The biggest advantage to H2O ( that I've been able to see) is that you are less sensitive to ambient temp spikes.
The mass/volume of the water tends to dampen these and your machine will run at a more constant temp.

thats probably the MCW-5000 or 5002, and it is a pretty good block, I am running it right now on a P4 at 43degrees load at 1.7volts, so the WB is capable of cooling a P4 although temps of course vary depending on many other elements.

I would check all the tubing to make sure that there are no kinks in the lines that could be hurting flow, that could cause higher temperatures. Also, what size radiator do you have, does it have 80mm or 120mm fans on it, and does it have one fan or more than one? And what temperature is your room?

seamadan000 said:
thats probably the MCW-5000 or 5002, and it is a pretty good block, I am running it right now on a P4 at 43degrees load at 1.7volts, so the WB is capable of cooling a P4 although temps of course vary depending on many other elements.

I would check all the tubing to make sure that there are no kinks in the lines that could be hurting flow, that could cause higher temperatures. Also, what size radiator do you have, does it have 80mm or 120mm fans on it, and does it have one fan or more than one? And what temperature is your room?

I actually dont know the temp in my room :(. The radiator is pretty small although i dont know the exact size. I'm not really scared that the temperature is 43 degrees anymore, the computer hasn't crashed or anything i was just expecting to get something around 38 degrees but well you dont always get what you want. It has an 80mm fan on it, but i also attached my tornado and that didnt really cool it down. I didnt know the kinks could increase the temp but i'm going to go ahead and order more tubing when i get a bigger radiator and a metal resevoir.

How do you have the waterblock mounted? Did you use the plastic retainers? I just have the block directly screwed ontop of the cpu through the holes on the motherboard.

Back