• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooled setup won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zebkoolindc

I recently put together my watercooling for my computer. It includes a Whitewater CPU block, a Maze 4 Chipset block and a Maze 4 GPU block. I got everything into the case after leaktesting and bleading and attached to the mobo. I then put in all the peripherals, hdd cd and whatnot. I hooked up the relay and tested it to make sure it worked. Well I went to boot the computer and the fans spin for about a second then stop. I then tried using the reset switch by moving the connector on the mobo thinking a switch was bad. Still same problem. I have to switch the powersupply off each time I try to boot again. I tried unhooking individual hdd's. I tried taking out 1 stick of RAM, then both. I even cleared the BIOS. I am totally stumped on what could be wrong. I would appreciate all the help you can give

I was kind of thinking that is what was doing it, but I wasn't sure I'll try another PSU and see if that helps Thanks.

Have u checked if u have any kind of cpu overheating protection activated? Something like a bios setting telling the comp not to start unless u have the cpu fan connected.

you try unplugging the cord to power from wall.I dropped a srew on my mobo once and it touched something and turned comp and did what u said my friend old me to unplug cord then re plug it and it worked:)

The question was why was i messign with my computer turned on :p

Some how I think a 530W fortron should be able to handle the load. I take it the pump isn't run off of your PSU, since you mentioned you have already leak tested it? Or what type of pump do you have and how is it plugged in?

Did plug a 3 pin fan into the cpu header didn't help

Have plugged and unpluged many times didn't help

pump is running of ac w/ a relay to control it

PSU works in two other computers

could i have cracked the North Bridge with my DD Maze 4 chipset block ????

Couple of things to look at:

You used plastic washers on both sides of the motherboard thru bolts right?, so nothing's shorting little components next to the holes.
Those little surface mount components still there? Sitting crooked?
Try plugging an hsf fan into the fan plug on the mobo and see if it boots then, NB too.
Reseat the cards/memory to make sure nothing was jogged loose when you were working in there.
Try it without the relay hooked up, Sparkle/Fortrons can be picky about what it sees as a short.
Also check to make sure you aren't bending the mobo too much with the waterblock mount, that can unseat some pins on the processor.

Have fun, let us know...

* one more I thought of, the mounting hardware isn't interfering with the zif socket locking arm is it? It's all the way down?

most have been already said. will add another possible reason.
1) Make sure you waterblock on CPU touches it and puts some pressure on to it, otherwise it will heat up vey quickly.
2) Check that paste you put on the NB didn't shortcut the near to NB die parts.
3) check that NB block itself does not shortcut any parts underneath

Hey guys, sorry to throw you for a little loop, zebcoolindc was helping me with seting up the Watercooling, its for my comp so its not the fortron problem. He has tools to work with and I don't also he is more electrically inclined.

I did take it back to air cooling today and it fired right up, not a lick of problems. I think it is prolly something to do with how the WW is installed. I am going to try reinstalling it in the morning.

Also Yes the 4 pin plug is in, i have actually forgotten that one of the first times i put it together when i was still on air, so now i check it but thanks. anything else would be greatly appreciated.

I will post pics once I get it up and running.

Hey, I thought I should tell you that I got the setup up and running this morning. The culprit was 2 extra standoffs that I had forgotten about. temps at 3.36Ghz are around 27C idle. I haven't had a chance to start Prime to warm it up so I will let you know once I get a chance.

lol, I just saw this thread this morning and before i read the part about you fixing it, was going to suggest that you grounded your motherboard somehow. I accidentally left in an extra motherboard standoff when switching mobo's and had the same thing happen to me. turned the computer on, the fans twitched, but then nothing else happened...

Bring that thing back out here so we can make that little 2.8 scream for mercy muhahahaha

Back