• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does this look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wuzzapiman

Cooling a 3000+ newcastle CG stepping and an X800 Pro.

Im looking for temperatures near 0° C

DangerDen Maze4-1 GPU Waterblock
80w Potted Peltier
40x40mm cold plate

Via Agua 1300 Pump
Tygon Tubing
Bay-Res
Black Ice Xtreme Radiator (1x120mm)
Push/Pull 2x120mm evercool aluminum fans

ThermalTake Black Tsunami Case
Enermax 550w PSU w/ 12V@34A

Are you sure a Asetek Antarctica waterblock will work with a pelt? i dont think they are pelt compatible. You need something made to be used with a pelt that has clamp blots inlcuded in its design for teh cold plate.

also you need a bigger Rad a MUCH bigger Rad!! ;) to make that work

I have heard that the Via Agua 1300 Pump is loud. If you want a good performing pump go with an Danner Mag #3 or a Eheim 1250.

Edit: You will get better performance and a cheaper price if you go with a heater core. Check out the dual heater core w/ shroud at DangerDen.

wuzzapiman said:
The PSU has 34A on the 12v line

erm.. i wouldn't use ur cpu powersupply.
it does have 34amp, but its in two lines..
ur 80watt pelt will use up 6-8 amps on its own so u won't be able to put both one the same line, sharing a peliter with a cpu on the same line is risky.
i'd suggest getting a seperate psu for pelts.
potted means they have wires soldered to them, make sure they are sealed too.
like slater said, that rad won't cut it. try looking for a double heatercore rad like a caprice.
a good pelt waterblock is the maze 4 cpu block, might as well get everything from DD and save shipping ya know.

the BIX would work somewhat decently with a couple 150cfm+ fan and shrouds. Course, you could just sell it and get two heatercores with the money.'

I'd say you'll be lucky to get 10C temps under load with that setup and a better radiator.

BTW, a 40x40mm coldplate won't work for the 226watt pelt. The pelt is gonna be 50x50mm.

the things your gonna want

second psu ( yes required just get a cheep one )
a block that is designed for pelt use.
a large heater core not a mid to small one. the best option will be high flow so a caprice core would work .
4x 120mm fans with good pressure ratings and some shroudage
a relay of sorts ( you can wire things up with second psu in mind also )
a good pump for higher flow rates .
tubing .
for pelt setups i rarely reccomend a res and instead would go with a tline at the top of the system to also act as bleed ( will take longer to fill and bleed though)
a way to secure your tubes ( hose clamps soldier zipties goop or some other means)
and etc etc ( sorry have to get back to work)

What about using 2x120mm Black Ice Xtremes, both with push/pull.
Maze4-1 CPU and GPU block now
and ehiem 1250
and the 320w meanwell PSU

here's a tip; my sparkle FSP550 is rated for 36 amps 12v, and I've been running my computer on it plus a 226 watt pelt for a couple weeks now with no problems. Whether or not it would be able to handle all that and an 80 watt pelt, I couldn't tell you, but it's a great supply, works wonderfully for my whole computer + 226 watt pelt, and is only $100 on newegg.

squeakygeek said:
here's a tip; my sparkle FSP550 is rated for 36 amps 12v, and I've been running my computer on it plus a 226 watt pelt for a couple weeks now with no problems. Whether or not it would be able to handle all that and an 80 watt pelt, I couldn't tell you, but it's a great supply, works wonderfully for my whole computer + 226 watt pelt, and is only $100 on newegg.

36A x 12v: 432w

-226 for pelt
-100 for CPU
-80 for pelt

leaves 24 watts to run everything else

a hard drive will draw 15watts

that leaves 9 watts for anything else

yeah right, get a bigger PSU, like you said, and as far as the pump, Via is ok, but why put a $15 pump into a $400 cooling system?

also think about the FEDCO 2-342 or 2-302? heatercores, they're 2x120mm and <$30

I would get a meanwell 300w for the 226w and then run the 80w off the normal psu. Theres not relly any way around it, what ever happens your are going to have to use 2 psus.

greenman100 said:
36A x 12v: 432w

-226 for pelt
-100 for CPU
-80 for pelt

leaves 24 watts to run everything else

This is strange for you, greenman. You convert the amp rating to watts, and then use bogus wattages for the peltiers? Makes no sense. At 12v, a 226 watt peltier draws about 20 amps I think, which would be about 240 watts, but why not just subract the 20 amps? I don't know what the 80 watt pelt draws.

Via is ok, but why put a $15 pump into a $400 cooling system?

...because Via is ok? You're rhetorical question isn't logical. The cost of the rest of the cooling system by itself is not a reason to spend more on a certain part just for the sake of spending more.

Back