• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for everyones pros and cons of pelts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sonicdrive

that is it i would like to know what the pros and cons of pelts looking for just the facts thanks to all that joined in

PRO's:
Cools fairly well
Not "that" expensive
helps overclock compared to strigh water or air

Cons:
Lots of power to run them
Don't cool as well as pahse-change
have a specific limit of heat that can be moved
heats up room

Cons:

If the pelt or supply dies, it insulates your CPU from it's cooling, kills it before thermal shutdown can occur a lot of the time.

Pros:

Only have to insulate soccet, not entire water system like chilled water.

Pro:
-Pelts are SMALL and SILENT.
-A 226W pelt can be purchased for under $40.

Con:
-Lots of power is required to run them, so in many cases you'd need an extra PSU.
-They add extra heat to the system, which must be dissipated - you might need a larger radiator to keep temps to your liking.

Biggest Con: Once you attauly take into account the money you will need to spend to get Not only the TEC but also a psu and watercooling system thats capible of cooing a 226w TEC it attualy works out very expencive. So expencive that you may aswell go and buy a low end Phasechange setup.

Ofcourse if you have a very good watercooling system you can cut the costs quite a bit so that only relly applys to a whole new system.

Pros: er Cooling? Coolness?

Cons: Huge Power bills, Condensation risk, Pelt/PS fail risk, More than doubles the heat that needs attualy cooling for it to work. Loads more.

:)

that depends on how much your power costs and the wattage of the pelt. Where I live power is pretty cheap (6.19 cents per KW hour) so pelts arn't a big deal ,but in some places it can be bad.

If you are running a 226 watt pelt 24/7, it will use ~215 KW hours a month if the supply is about 75% efficent. (this is a total guess, could be way off on efficency)

For my power cost, that means it would cost ~$13 a month for constant use. I don't leave my computer on while I speep or while I'm at work, so a more accurate guess for me would be something like $5 a month.

Back