• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just built my first shroud....man am i proud of myself

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netboy

Registered
So I decided to switch from a chevette core to caprice core. I was going to get 2 dtek heater core shrouds to use on the caprice core, but then i figure I would try to make one myself. I tried cardboard first didnt like it, ugly and funny fit. So I went to home depot and bought a sheet of plexi glass. Did some measurements, busted out the trusty ol dremel and went to town. If you do this make sure you are in a well ventelated area, funny smell when cutting plexi. I must admit it is hard to cut in a straight line but i managed. Used two cds for cutouts where the fans would go. gooped it up with silicone( i think i went overboard, but i wanted to make sure no air leakage) and whoola a fan shroud. Its not the prettiest thing in teh world but im damn proud of my own creation. If i had somewhere to host the pics i would post them. For those of you who were in my shoes and a little hesitant about modding and fabricating stuff, buy a dremel and make the plunge. Its fun as heck and a lot cheaper also. Now time for that beer :beer:

Last edited:
congrats! doing stuff yourself is definitly the best way to go (preaching to the choir around here I think :] ).

I know the feeling - I'm real close to finishing my whole setup, with a totally custom made external box and everything - it makes me feel very proud to know I did most of it myself.

But the question is - now that you've been bitten by the bug, what will your NEXT DIY project be?

Just a tip for those who also would like to make a plexi shroud. The best way to cut plexi is with a sharp utilty knife and a metal straight edge (metal ruler). Just draw your line and line up the edge of the metal ruler. Score the plexi against the metal edge 5 or six times, the deeper you get the better. Then place the scored line on a straight edge corner of a work bench or counter top and snap where the line is. If you scored it well, you will get a perfectly straight line from the break.

Good job on making yoru own, I'd like to see pictures.

hehe, my next DIY project is to get this sob mounted somewhere on my case :p thanks rio for that tip....now you got me thinking of redoing it.

Tip for getting rid of that unsightly silicone - if you take a cheap plastic bag and stick your finger in it, you can run your finger along the seam of silicone and smooth it out nicely. be careful you don't get smudge marks, though.

BlueMan said:
Tip for getting rid of that unsightly silicone - if you take a cheap plastic bag and stick your finger in it, you can run your finger along the seam of silicone and smooth it out nicely. be careful you don't get smudge marks, though.

For me, the best way has always been to lick your finger and run it along the bead....if you keep your finger covered in saliva it will glide smoothly over the bead and leave a nice finish.....and the caulking won't make you sick (just don't eat it)

any tips on cutting the actual hole? that is the hardest part for me

Dremel works fine with acrylic, or if you have deep pockets, Dewalt hole-saw attachments for your drill will be awesome, although the 4-½" (for 120mm fans) are very expensive. I have yet to find another brand that makes them for cheap.

Back