• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does 30*C mares a difference ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XmomoX

Registered
Elo all,
My names Mike and im from Poland. Im a total newbie in extream overclocking. Got myself peltier, but allready burned two PSUs on it :(((

Im starting having doubts...

My system:
AMD 1700+ (11x200) 1,925V 39*C - 44*C (stress)
My liquid cooling works perfectly, but appetite grows why eating (drinking) :beer: So got myself a 227W TEC all way from Indianapolis. That mashine is a current eater and I am afraid of malfunctions and CPU burnout.

Please share your experiences with Peltier systems. Is 30*C (as i calculated) temperature reduction really makes a diference? Would it allow the CPU to go 11,5? FSB is limmited by not adjustable system voltage (Epox 8RDA+ v1.1).

THX

Burned out two PSU's :eek: That's not so good.

To start with, that were the ratings of those PSU's? You can't run a pelt like that from a regular computer psu unless it is huge. You need a PUS that is rated for at least 25 amps at 12V, and if you intend to run the computer from the same psu, you should have something more like 35.

As far as overclocking , it is hard to say. If everything works right, a 30 degree temp drops sounds about right. This could alow you to go faster, or it might not. It will alow you to put more voltage into your cpu without frying it though, which should help you go faster.

I used (& burned) adjustable PSUs 0 - 30V x 0 - 20A. Well I think the only way is to buy 300W ATX PSU and shortcircuit the power on wire. But 12V x 24A would give only about 180W of heat pump power. Than the temperature drop will be even smaller.

My watter system allows me to put maxx possible voltage of 2,2V on CPU. Never tried it but the temp wont go much above 50*C. No need for TEC to do that. To chill the watter I use standard room radiator (dont know the English name for it - hanging on wall under window used to warm the room in wintertime). Would u go for TEC in that case?

Another important matter!! What damages the CPU? Given huge voltage or the heat that comes with it? Can I safely put 2.2 V on my A 1700+ and let them work in temperature around 55*C ???? I am afraid it will stop responding in few days of work in that conditions. What do you think??

And bdw what happens when the tecs power suply fails? Will the heat go from coldplate to water trough the peltier without electrical stimulation or all will set on fire? THeres auto off mechanism on my Epox mobo, but people say it fails frequently.

putting a 226w tec on your psu is ludicris. an 80w would be ok, assuming you have a good psu and not too many components.

get a meanwell 320-12 for ~$120. they have it at DangerDen or I found it at PowerFactor for less. They're pretty small and will easily fit in 5.25" bay.

80W is ok for factory parametrs of A1700+. My CPU howeverr operates at 2200MHz instead of 1400 and has 1.925V applied instead of 1.5V. It causes the heat emission rise over 120W (acording to my calculations).

http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html

But my question is still: Is 30*C difference worth the trouble?? My PSU died again and i have doubts weather buy new more powerfull PSU or motocycle for holidays :)

Has someone compared his good water system parameters before and after putting 226W pelt on? The temperature difference (around 30*C) is easy to calculate, but what about performance??? My stuff goes 11x200. After puting the pelt will it be possible to jump to 11,5x200????

Back