• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling running hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max47

Well im kinda stumped on this one, I have an Aquarius II and i will post a pic of the inside of my case soon. But the problem is im running idle 52C+(according to AbitEQ) and on load it quickly jumps up to 60-62C depending on what im doing. I dont know if its my radiator, pump, or if my waterblock isnt on there right.. but i have remounted the block sevral times with no change, so im pretty sure its not that. But when I get the pic on here, you can see from the pics that my whole cooling system is inside the case which i can understand would make the system run hotter than a water cooling with the radiator+pump located outside of the case, but still shouldnt be at those temps.. I have good airflow through my case, have sevral modded in fans, PCI exhaust fan 2 120mm Fans one at front one at rear, and two fans on the radiator. The case is enclosed by the desk its in which does accumulate heat.
Also those temps are at night when it isnt warm inside, it starts getting hotter during the day... the temps dont change alot maybe a few degrees from day to night even though the room temp has a rather large change. But running a heavy load during the day time brings the CPU temp over what i am willing to run.
One last thing i suppose, I am running one of the new D0 stepping Prescott's and i cant even remember the temps of the 3.2 i had in it before to use for reference but i know they werent this high.

Im not really sure what to do, possibly change the water and use a different mixture(currently using mix that came with AquariusII package), Changing the radiator(looking for something i can stuff in the case some how or another) and possibly the pump to get the water moving faster(again want to stuff it in the case) and last but not least trying to get my mess of wires cleaned up a little, even though there isnt much place to put them out of the way :(

Hmm cant seem to figure out how to get pic to display on page, only thing it lets me do is post a webpage i guess to view it...

Abit boards read temps about 10c higher than they really are. I had an IS-7 and when I went to water cooling it started displaying my temps supper high. I love the I love Abit’s “Soft Menu” for overclocking but I got tired of the temperature warning sounding off all the time when I knew my CPU was not as hot as the board was reading it so I changed to an Asus. I think there must be some sort of sincer in the fan connection that tells the board if no fan is present than the temps must be high. Try plugging up a fan on the CPU fan connection on your board and see if it makes a difference. Let us know.

Any other programs i can get temps on? i have touched the waterblock and it is pretty cold, and it seems as though the radiator is only moderatly warm

Max47 said:
What are some good water cooling systems that can fit inside the case?
You could easily mod the Aquarious II to better suit your needs for a LOT cheaper then buying a whole new kit.
Clocker2 has an Aquaious II that he has modded with a new waterblock, and did a few mods on the pump as well. You may want to talk to him about what he's done. He has had great temps with it as well.
And besides, modding is always a lot funner then going out and spending a ton of money!

Max,
I too have an AquariusII system.
My original temps, using it out of the box were not as high as yours, but still, not good.
I decided that the weak link was the stock waterblock so I replaced it with a Zalman waterblock.
Things improved immediately.
Although I have indeed modified the pump and my radiator is mounted on the outside of my case ( all of which helped), replacing the block was the biggest single improvement so far.
You might consider trying that before ditching the whole kit.

BTW, I got the Zalman block because it allows for easy upgrading to larger tube sizes. I figured if the Aquarius kit still didn't perform well, I could upgrade to a different pump/radiator and still use the waterblock.
There are certainly better waterblocks available but they don't come set up for the 1/4" tubing that the Aquarius uses and I was after a "plug and play" solution....

Back